San Antonio TX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisr

Reaction score
We are staying on the river this weekend and have not really found a non tourist trap type place that carries more than the usual suspects in the past.
I've read Central Market has a good selection and that maybe the route we will take traveling with kids.
I guess what I'm asking is are there any kid friendly places to go? Off the River. Last year we went to a brewpub the Blue moon? or blue star? If that is the only place to go we will be there.
Thanks

Central Market has a good selection, but it's a grocery store. Blue Star is a decent brewpub. There's another place I've heard that has a good selection, I believe it's called (someone correct me if I'm wrong) Hill's ice house.

Thanks yah Blue Star was very nice and kid friendly. Will serch for Hill's.

Just went to the Blue Star tonight. It was fantastic! The menu is limited, the beer is good, and the service is exellent! Here's my rundown:

I had the German platter. It was a few pieces of wienerschnitzel, some bratwurst, sauerkraut, and potato salad. Not bad. The schnitzel was overcooked, but the wurst was very good, and the potato salad was very traditional and tasty.

SWMBO had the Texas Pecan Salad - EXCELLENT! Wonderful candied pecans, grilled chicken, and peach vinaigrette over a green salad. It was delectable!

The beers:

Wheathead:
A Belgian wit style beer that was light in flavor and body. I swear it was served through the same tap that they recently served their smoked beer through, as I was getting a very smoky aftertaste, though the nose was quite nice. Not a bad start, but the smoky flavor was detracting.

Biere de Bleu:
Easily the best beer of the evening. A Belgian golden beer with plenty of fruity esters and just enough malt/hop notes to make it quite complex in flavor and aroma. One of the best American takes on a Belgian craft beer I've ever had.

Smoked Dark:
Billed as a Lowland Scot beer, it was very smoky and peaty. My second favorite of the evening. Velvet texture and smooth introduction gave way to a mild, smoky bitterness that lingered on the palate.

Stout:
Average. Too roasty and bitter, even for a dry stout. The flavor components didn't meld well enough for me, though the nitro pour was impressive.

Pale Ale:
Served late as a sampler - again, I tasted smoked notes that could only have come from an improperly cleaned tap that had previously served the smoked beer. I wish I'd had a fresh sample.

King Richard Barleywine:
Good, but not great. Needs much more hop bitterness and flavor to offset the malty sweetness. A nice, young barleywine, but not what I expect when that style is presented.

Overall:
I was quite satisfied with the experience. The beers were all decent, with some obvious standouts. The food was worth a second trip, and the service was well above average. I'm going back!

EDIT: We forgot the camera. I meant to get a picture of me in my Iron Orr shirt next to one of the 16 barrel grundy bright tanks. Sorry, Dude!

Back from S.A. Should have gotten the sampler but we were just stopping for dessert. great root beer for floats. Had the Barleywine very sweet maybe a little too sweet. Pale Ale was good. We come hear now out of habit great atmosphere and kid friendly and root beer floats are a hit if you have kids we have three.

Funny, I've lived here for almost 8 years now and have never been to Blue Star. Guess when the back is doing better I'll have to check it out.

Back