Graff with 3 types of yeast (what to expect?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoelMueller

Reaction score
*Moved this post from the yeast forum to the Cider forum..*

Hey guys, I just had one of those ridiculous brew days, pulled straight out of my ass. I'm sure everyone has had one of these. My girlfriend and I were talking about doing a cider/beer hybrid, and just kinda 'went for it.' I have LOTS of uncertainty as to what to expect, since we pitched 3 different types of yeast.

I'm really wondering about fermentation temps, and what to expect given the atrocities we just committed.

Fermentables:

- 3.3 lb pouch of Williams Nut Brown extract (known to contain lots of unfermentables).

- 1 gallon unfiltered, pasteurized apple juice (store bought, no preservatives, does contain some malic acid)

- 1 gallon filtered organic apple juice (store bought, no preservatives, does contain citric acid)

The OG came out to 1.046, and we're hoping for a ~5% abv beverage.

Hops:

1 oz. Northern Brewer added while the 2 gal of water came to a boil, added extract and had a full rolling boil for 15 minutes.

1 oz. Northern Brewer and 1 oz. Simcoe at flameout

BrewersFriend tells me it should be in the ballpark of 30 IBU, but the wort tasted pretty hoppy when I took the gravity reading.

The wort was chilled, and the apple juices were added along with a splash of spring water to bring it up to the target of 4.5 gallons, at 65 degrees F. The wort was aerated for 30 seconds with pure 02, and here's where the weird **** happens..

We pitched:

1 vial of White Labs California Ale V yeast (kinda old, probably 10% dead)
1 packet of Safale US-04 - (not rehydrated)
1 smack pack of Wyeast 4766 Cider yeast, (didn't wait for propagation, just pitched the yeast+nutrients)

You could call us lazy, but i think totally off our rockers would be more accurate.

Placed it in the chest freezer at 63 degrees, and that brings us up to right now. I have no idea WHAT in the world to expect. Any ideas?

We could talk about pitching rate, multiple yeasts, Graf(f)?, fermenting beer with cider yeast, all sorts of nightmares.

Pretty unique, and weird! Its dry and slightly vinous, which is probably to be expected with the yeast/pitch.

The apple flavor is somewhat there, and the color is a muddy brown, and the aroma is very hoppy. There is some nice hop flavor, and what feels like about 25 IBU of bitterness. Sadly, there is almost zero beer flavor. The overall flavor profile is pretty bland/delicate, with a slight sourness being the dominant note. Mouthfeel is surprisingly full, despite zero sweetness. Very strange recipe that I will not be repeating, but its drinkable.

Latest posts

Back