Brewing an APA and have hop question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AR-Josh

Reaction score
How does the hop pairing look below? I'm hoping to brew this weekend.
Would you change anything?
Anything stand out as a bad pairing?

Here is the recipe:

1 lbs Caramel Malt - 60L Steeped
3 lbs DME Golden Light 60 m
0.25 oz Simcoe 60 m
0.40 oz Amarillo Gold 20 m
0.30 oz Amarillo Gold 15 m
0.30 oz Amarillo Gold 10 m
0.20 oz Simcoe 10 m
0.40 oz Amarillo Gold 5 m
0.30 oz Amarillo Gold 1 m

3 lbs DME Golden Light 10 m

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold Dry Hop 7.0 Day
1.00 oz Citra Dry Hop 7.0 Days
1.00 oz Simcoe Dry Hop 7.0 Days

Thanks!

I would call that an IPA, not APA, based on the amount of dryhopping, but looks great! I'd drink lots of it :D

How Many IBUs does this give you?

Simcoe & Amarillo make a great combo. I would use something like horizon or US Magnum for your 60 minute and move that .25 oz of precious Simcoe to 5 or flameout. It won't make a huge difference but Simcoe is prized for its flavor and aroma and, in my view, using it for bittering is kind of a waste of a hop that can be hard to find later in the year.

can't go wrong with amarillo and simcoe.

personally i'd move the 20 min addition closer to the end of the boil, maybe throw an extra 0.1 (or whatever it takes) on the 60 min hops to maintain the same IBUs.

and definitely don't use simcoe at 60 min. that's a waste. much better to use that in the last 10 mins. use something non-descript (and cheap) for bittering.

The hard part with the bittering is tha I only have Amarillo, simcoe, citra, and some left over hallertau. Maybe I can get enough out of the hallertau I have?

I don't have experience with using Hallertau outside of its traditional beer styles so I can't comment on how that would turn out.

If it was my beer and those were my only choices I would go with your original plan & leave the Simcoe at 60.

I would call that an IPA, not APA, based on the amount of dryhopping, but looks great! I'd drink lots of it :D
i'm guessing that the IBUs aren't high enough to be an IPA. i could be wrong, tho... OP, what are the IBUs on this recipe?

The hard part with the bittering is tha I only have Amarillo, simcoe, citra, and some left over hallertau. Maybe I can get enough out of the hallertau I have?
maybe. looks like you're not going for too much bitterness anyways, so an ounce or less of hallertau might be the same as the simcoe. on the other hand i now realize you're only using 0.25 oz of simcoe. that's not enough to get excited about.

Beersmith says the IBU's are 43.8 and an OG of 1.055. I've made this recipe before but only used Amarillo. I loved amarillo so much that I decided bittering with it was a waste. So I started playing with the recipe.

ETA. I have enough DME to put me at 1.055 so that's why I'm trying to stay in the APA style. If I had more DME I'd go IPA. It's mostly just beersmith as to why I am using those small amounts.

Back