Is Pouring OFF LIMITS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YEOJ_REWERB

Reaction score
My LHBS told me that pouring cider from a growler into bottles is dangerous because it can oxygenate the cider and lead to problems.... What is the risk, and how can I mitigate it without buying a siphon?

Dangerous? No.

There's potential for oxygenation of the cider. Depends on how long you plan on keeping it. If less than a couple weeks you should be fine; any longer and maybe a better transfer would be best.

Is this cider carbonated? If not, then a simple hose would work to siphon from ?growler? to bottles. If it is carbonated then you may run into excessive foaming problems. Really, a growler?

Unless you're letting it hang around a while, it wouldn't be an issue. You may lose some carbination, if there is any, but I wouldn't let it stick around long enough to be a problem!

I ferment small batches in 1 gallon 'growlers' all the time. I just pour it through a funnel back into the original container it came in. Of course these batches rarely make it through a weekend and they are enjoyed chilled and still.

I would never pour a 5 gallon batch that I have spent 2-3 months aging through a funnel...that is what auto-syphons are for ;)

Back