Minimum time to bottle carb a hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pzack

Reaction score
I want to bottle today, and serve on Saturday. That's 3 days. Any chance that my hefe will be carbed after 3 days? I can't keg, so any advice is appreciated.

You're reaaaally pushing it.

A hefe will carbonate faster than most other styles, since it's low ABV and hefe yeasts generally show very low flocculation. So there should be plenty of hungry yeast left around. You're at a big advantage there. Another thing working for you is that a hefe is best young, and you want the yeast to end up in the glass instead of in the bottle.

I'd say bottle ASAP and try to keep them real warm, maybe even 80+ degrees. Bottle one in a plastic seltzer bottle so you can feel/see how the carbonation is progressing. Check on it Friday night, if it seems like it's carbonated you might want to try one (even warm, if you hear a big hiss when you open the bottle it means the CO2's there, even if it didn't have time to go into solution). Then put them in the fridge, or on ice, that night.

Good luck! Plan things out better next time :p

No, you really won't be ready. I would prime to 3 volumes and keep the beer WARM like, 80F and you may have a chance, but I'm going to say no, you won't have carbed beer ready. Basically, even if your yeast do ferment all that sugar, the beer needs to have time to absorb the CO2 they produce. Even if you chill the beer for a few hours, you're going to get foamy/gusher bottles.

I say very low chance of success.

Thanks guys. Def going 80 degrees. Will keep fingers and toes crossed.

Just make sure you chill them for a good length of time. Hours before drinking. Otherwise you will wind up with gushers. As the co2 that's in the bottle won't be fully absorbed in the beer that quickly. I could be wrong but that's what I've noticed with my experience.

Just make sure you chill them for a good length of time. Hours before drinking. Otherwise you will wind up with gushers. As the co2 that's in the bottle won't be fully absorbed in the beer that quickly. I could be wrong but that's what I've noticed with my experience.

This will probably happen anyway, BTW. That or mostly flat beer. Just be prepared- have something else on hand.

On this note, people want to be able to drink the Homebrew out of the bottle (vs pouring into a glass).

Do any of you do this? I always pour my Homebrew because of the yeast, etc that settles to the bottom of the bottle.

I usually drink out of the bottle. By the time I'm drinking them the yeast is settled pretty good and tight. That and I don't mind a little yeast.

It took my hefe 7 days, probably would have been drinkable but under carbed at 6. I think you are out of luck at 3 though.

On this note, people want to be able to drink the Homebrew out of the bottle (vs pouring into a glass).

Do any of you do this? I always pour my Homebrew because of the yeast, etc that settles to the bottom of the bottle.

Generally, I say bottle conditioned homebrew needs to be poured into a glass. But a hefe can be done either way, if I pour it into a glass I make sure I swirl to get all the yeast in there.

Was slightly carbed. No explosions or bubbling over. Did what you guys said. Thx for your help!!

Back