First attemp at yeast harvesting /washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Cat

Reaction score
Ok to yesterday I transferred my brew to the secondary and decided to try to harvest the yest to reuse it next week so i boiled a gallon of water,sterilized everything that came or may come in contact with my project and after cooling the water i added it to my carboy. I swirled it and poured the concoction into a one gallon jug and covered it with a sanitized plastic held by rubberbands (I wasn't to sure if putting a cap wold wake me up to a bottle bomb lol yes i am afraid of those messes lol) I left it on my counter over night and woke up to this

ForumRunner_20121111_072827.png

Now to the questions ; i think I'm suppose to pour it into another container and try to save the lightest of the settlements and discard the water on top and settlements below but my concern is for how long can i have this on my counter without harming the yeast and after I'm able to harvest the yeast for how long could i keep it in my refrigerator before it goes bad?

Pretty simple eh?

There is a sticky in the yeast section about this but my unresourced answer would be

On the counter - depends if it's covered. Wet paper towel or a lid- one day
In the fridge- up to four to six months depending on the strain. I used an Irish red ale yeast that was a year old and it sunk straight to the bottom, dead.

liquiditynerd said:
Pretty simple eh?

There is a sticky in the yeast section about this but my unresourced answer would be

On the counter - depends if it's covered. Wet paper towel or a lid- one day
In the fridge- up to four to six months depending on the strain. I used an Irish red ale yeast that was a year old and it sunk straight to the bottom, dead.

Edit- with the cover you have you pretty much made a starter without the DME

Well right now its covered on my counter but i don't know if i have a time frame in which I'm suppose to place it in the fridge. I will like to let it settle more but if me leaving it outside (on the counter covered with the plastic held by rubberbands) is just going to kill the yeast then i will place it in the fridge now to avoid that.

Edit- with the cover you have you pretty much made a starter without the DME[/QUOTE]

I don't understand this quote... isn't a starter without DME just the yeast?

The trub already separated see the separation in the sediment. The bottom layer is the trub and yeast is on the top. Also I put it right in the fridge it will separate quick at the lower temp. I would give it a good swirl and get everything in suspension then wait about 20 min till you see the layer of trub settle to the bottom. Then slowly pour off the yeast liquid off the trub. Now you have a mostly yeast a liquid mixture to either wash a little further for storage or settle and decant to create a slurry for your next batch.

I don't use 1gal jugs it is difficult to pour of the trub. I actually use a big glass pitcher and starsaned press and seal to keep anything out during separating.

Yup, sorry, sarcasm never works in text. I was just thinking about the gallon of water you added. I usually just let the last pint of beer from the carboy settle out in a mason jar in the fridge before I pour it off.

So if you were making the same style next time it seems like you have a started.

Sorry for the sarcasm

Jbt said:
The trub already separated see the separation in the sediment. The bottom layer is the trub and yeast is on the top. Also I put it right in the fridge it will separate quick at the lower temp. I would give it a good swirl and get everything in suspension then wait about 20 min till you see the layer of trub settle to the bottom. Then slowly pour off the yeast liquid off the trub. Now you have a mostly yeast a liquid mixture to either wash a little further for storage or settle and decant to create a slurry for your next batch.

I don't use 1gal jugs it is difficult to pour of the trub. I actually use a big glass pitcher and starsaned press and seal to keep anything out during

So it seems as if i haven't ruined it just yet ...I will swirl it right now and do as you advise ...Thanks

liquiditynerd said:
Yup, sorry, sarcasm never works in text. I was just thinking about the gallon of water you added. I usually just let the last pint of beer from the carboy settle out in a mason jar in the fridge before I pour it off.

So if you were making the same style next time it seems like you have a started.

Sorry for the sarcasm

Lol yeah i think a gallon was to much too.. next one i will just use two quarts and mason jars

Back