Return of the 10der & Mild - 10 Day Mild Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chriso

Broken Robot Brewing Co.
Reaction score
Hello all. I was looking through my recipes and realizes that tomorrow (9/30) marks the 4 year anniversary of the day I brewed my 10der & Mild Ale for the HomeBrewTalk 10der & Mild 10 Day Mild Ale swap.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f38/project-10der-mild-10-milds-10-days-month-10-a-77758/

I need to brew a batch of beer for a quickly-upcoming event anyways, so I figured that today (yeah, yeah, one day early, I know) I'm going to brew an anniversary batch based on my old recipe.

I'm out of a few of the grains I used but have put together a reasonable approximation.

Chriso's Original Recipe
Mash at 158*F for 75 Min:
3 lb Maris Otter
2.5 lb Pale 2-Row
8oz Munich
5oz Caramel 60*L
5oz Chocolate Malt
4oz Coffee Malt
2oz Caramel 120*L
1oz Aromatic Malt
Boil 60 minutes:
.69oz Challenger 6.3% for 60 min
.31oz Challenger for 15 min
Safale S-04

Today's Recipe
Same mash and boil durations.
5.5 lb Pale 2-Row
8oz Munich
6oz Caramel 80*L
6oz Chocolate Malt
3oz Biscuit Malt
3oz Caramel 120*L
1oz EKG 4.5% for 60 min
0.5oz EKG for 15 min
Safale S-04

Enjoy - and in the spirit of the original post that inspired it - Drink More Mild!!

Today's version expected stats:
1.034 OG - 1.009 FG
18.7 SRM, 23 IBU, 3.25% ABV
Will ferment for 7-8 days with S-04 at about 67*F then keg, crash, and carb for 3 days. (7-8 days because it just depends whether I get around to kegging it on Sat. or Sun.)

The event is on Thurs, Oct 11. (So, actually 12 days away, not 10. Close enough.)

I switched up my technique slightly. I mashed for 60 minutes then I added Batch Sparge #1 directly into the mash tun without draining it, stirred, and let it rest for another 15 minutes. Then I drained the tun, poured the entire Batch Sparge #2 into the tun, and put it onto the pump for about 10 minutes recirculating, then pumped directly out of the tun into the kettle. Saved me some lifting over my usual method! I'm betting I see a small efficiency rise to go with it.

Mashing, with my new March pump ready for sparging...

Waiting for it to come up to boil...

Having a glass of my Citrus Wheat Ale while I watch the boil progress.

It just so happens that I had to come up with a beer in about ten days, so I decided to make a mild today. Got a beer fest tomorrow so i couldn't do one on the "official" day anyway.

I'm boiling now but had some propane tank issues, so it's been a bit slow going since my mash finished.

I will gladly swap if anyone is up for it.

Wow- it's been so long since I made a mild! The last mild I did was the same recipe as the one from Jamil Zainasheff. I have an oatmeal stout up next this week, but now I'm wishing it was a mild. Thanks for sharing the photos!

I gotta get me a brew stand. I'm so tired of moving plastic furniture around and putting pieces of lumber on top of everything so that I don't melt it. :p

A swap sounds interesting - but I'll need to brew a second batch of this, as I anticipate I'll serve all 5 gallons at the event it's heading for.

I'll keep this recipe at the top of the pile, maybe we can put something together in the next couple months! The Mild swap was awesome last time, it's amazing how much complexity you can get out of such a simple, small beer. Heh! :fro:

PS. Washing down my Citrus Wheat with a glass of my coveted Vanilla Wheat Porter. My wife has placed a distribution ban on this keg - No filling growlers for the rest of the family, it's all hers! :p

PSS. GO BIG RED! I'd be in trouble for not saying that. Tonight is homecoming game vs Wisconsin Badgers!! (My second favorite NCAAF team!!)

No matter who wins, I'm happy - But the Huskers better win dangit!!!!

LAST EDIT: I found the *real* original recipe I used - I mash hopped it because the voices in my head told me to - but I never wrote it down on my brewsheet. Bad Chriso! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f38/pr...-days-month-10-a-77758/index4.html#post874703

I did mine as a BIAB, no sparge.

My first propane tank ran out of gas shortly after the start of the boil. So, I swapped it out only to find that my replacement tank had a busted valve. So, I had to run to the store and get a replacement for that, then come back and re-start the boil.

As such, I have no idea what the hops are going to be like in this one. I suspect it will come out something like a first wort hop kind of vibe, so maybe way more hop aroma and flavor than I was originally intending..

Then as I was chilling my beer, my damned pump cut off. I ended up having to siphon as much of the rest of my beer into the fermenter as I could get, which turned out to be somewhere around 4 gallons or so.

I don't have a brew stand per se, but I use this as a stand of sorts, which works fine for my BIAB setup.

41FKre3rO5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So! Chilling was quite the adventure! I'm running low on transfer hoses (I'm just about to replace all of my vinyl with silicone) and I misplaced one of them..... so I had to work with a short hose.

I recirculated wort through the chiller for 30 min to drop the temp. inside the kettle down to 80*F, then ran one more pass through the chiller into the fermenter. (I actually pumped into fermenter via its' spigot!! I only did this because it's a brand new, unused Ale Pail, and I've soaked it in StarSan all day long. I also circ'ed boiling water for 20min through the entire pump/CFC setup (during my mash) and followed it with recircing StarSan through the whole kit. I'm pretty sure everything was clean enough to pull it off.)

Next projects before I brew again are:
- Need a protective box for the pump to live inside of.
- Need new hoses, upgrade to silicone, add QD's instead of barbs????? *wishful*
- Find a good clamp to keep the return hose in place on the kettle.
- Build ice water recirc bucket! Ground water was still too warm to get past 73*F.

I don't know if I'll work no-sparge into my outdoor brewing rig, or just keep it on the list for my indoor rig. But my long-term game plan is to convert some of my equipment and set up an eBrewery in my basement, in a single pump RIMS style most likely.

sorry to necro, but I'd really like to know if OP's mild came out as good using 5.5lbs of 2 row instead of the MO/2row blend?

Back