First time mishap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patfoley17

Reaction score
Hey, first time posting and first partial grain brew today.

2 things I'm concerned about. I was straining the grains/hops from my extract wort and dropped the strainer into my Coopers fermentation barrel. I did my best to get most of the hops out but how will this affect my brew?

Also, I bought Wyeast 1450 and didn't realize that it took 3 hours to activate in the package. I popped the activation sac right after chilling my wort and now I have to wait the 3 hours to put it into the wort. I've airlocked what I have for now and will aerate before putting the yeast in.

Have I ruined my brew? Thanks for any help.

Hmmm . . . straining grains and hops at the same time? Did you boil the grains for the duration, or did you steep your hops prior to boil?

I boiled my grains and took the muslin sac out and ran hot water over it but there was still some leftover grain that seeped out from the the original boil left in the water. Since I only have one brewing pot I couldn't remove those grains so a very small amount stayed in for the whole boil.

Also, I bought Wyeast 1450 and didn't realize that it took 3 hours to activate in the package. I popped the activation sac right after chilling my wort and now I have to wait the 3 hours to put it into the wort. I've airlocked what I have for now and will aerate before putting the yeast in.

you don't have to wait...dump it right in.

I boiled my grains and took the muslin sac out and ran hot water over it but there was still some leftover grain that seeped out from the the original boil left in the water. Since I only have one brewing pot I couldn't remove those grains so a very small amount stayed in for the whole boil.

boiled or steeped (around 160ish)?

Now I'm intrigued... What would happen if I left the grains and the hops in the boil?

you want to boil the hops. you do not want to boil the steeping grains.

you want to boil the hops. you do not want to boil the steeping grains.

I guess my question is, "why what would be the result?"

Is there some sort of reaction? Do the grains burn? Would the overall flavor of the beer be changed?

i'm not a beer scientist, but steeping grains at too high of a temp will release tannins into the wort causing undesirable flavors.

i'm not a beer scientist, but steeping grains at too high of a temp will release tannins into the wort causing undesirable flavors.

Thanks for your help. I guess it'll just be wait and see with this one. Next time I will have learned my lesson.

Thanks again.

This statement is only partially true. It would depend on the water and the grains. If your water is very alkaline and the grains could not overcome that alkalinity you could have extracted tannins. You have to have alkaline conditions and water over 170 to extract the tannins.

For those of you with more experience think about decoction mashing. Those who practice this method of heating the mash routinely heat grains and water to the boiling point and their beers aren't astringent with released tannins.

Back