Berliner weiss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flabyboy

Reaction score
Looking at making a Berliner Weiss for this summer and had a question. Someone told me they use some maltodextrin to ensure the lactobacillus has something to eat. Can Lacto break down maltodextrin?? I plan on doing the no boil method, mash hop , pitch a clean ale yeast in primary with Lacto culture going in after 2 days. Any thoughts??

It would be a good experiment. Lactobacillus can consume maltodextrin as well as other sugars in the wort.

I recently made a Berliner Weiss and just boiled my hops for 15 min. It accomplishes everything: low hop, sterilize your wort, drive off DMS. The no-boil method is really not better ; it is traditional. I don't get it.

I did my primary (added US-05 and lacto at the same time) and after four weeks in the primary, the sourness was not really there. I currently am doing a secondary on fruit, and I expect the sourness to increase from the lacto having more sugar to consume.

Let you know in a couple months.

Not much to add, but here is the BYO recipe that I am drinking on now. Not super sour, yet, but it is nice and easy to drink.

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Recipes - Belgian Lambic and Sour Ale - Berliner Weisse (Napoleon

I have read some people do a sour mash and some do the no boil method. I figured I would try the traditional way (no boil) because why not? This is why we homebrew, right?? What ate you guys using to bottle this stuff? I doubt standard 12oz brown bottles will hold the pressure, but I hate the idea of buying a crap load of bottles for just this batch. Kegging doesn't seem like the best idea because it doesn't seem like the kin of beer you will finish off quickly

Latest posts

Back