Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Completely fall apart, to the point where I wished it had a little bite to it. Hard to complain, but seriously could just eat with a fork. Won't let them go so long with this method next time. Probably up there with some of the prettiest ribs I've made - before slicing (and tasty as hell), just not quite the bite I'd prefer to them. More like pulled pork on a rib bone than what you'd expect out of ribs.

That's the good thing about being a BBQ guru. We may think they're overcooked, but our guests never complain about "fall off the bone" ribs lol.

That's the good thing about being a BBQ guru. We may think they're overcooked, but our guests never complain about "fall off the bone" ribs lol.

Wife kills me, says they aren't any good unless they are 'fall of the bone'....ugh, bet yer mom used to boil 'em too, huh? (fortunately, no)

Most of my family is in the "fall off the bone" camp, lol. So it's a better problem to have than overly tough, chewy ribs for sure! I've finally got my wife to kick the habit of boiling first. Yuck! Strips all the nice pork flavor out IMO. Mom still does it, though.

(Side story - just found the thermoworks chef alarm thermometer I bought for my parents over 2 years ago in a drawer at their house, still in the packaging. Mines starting to act up, but we use it a ton. Considered just taking it back home with me...)

Wife kills me, says they aren't any good unless they are 'fall of the bone'....ugh, bet yer mom used to boil 'em too, huh? (fortunately, no)

My mom used to boil her ribs... Parents are coming out to see me and the kids in a couple weeks. I think I'm going to make some ribs properly to show them how it's done :D

For baby backs, I've done 2-2-1 a couple times on a BGE - works very well - so well, I might go to 2-1.5-1 - want just a bit less fall-off-the-bone.

I do a 2, 1.5-1.75, then until it's done method.
If it's wet rub I can go as long as needed, just keep basting! If it's dry, I go about 15-20 min until the rub dries a bit and looks good.

Did some baby backs yesterday. I usually just throw the ribs on and let 'em ride, but this time I decided to do the 3-2-1 thing with foil. I mixed up a stick of melted butter with, instead of brown sugar/honey, I used that leftover cup of Munich LME that's been sitting in the fridge for months (with a layer of vodka on top to prevent mold). Then I made a glaze out of a cup of the liquid that I (very carefully) poured out of the foil and a cup of BBQ sauce. It was pretty darn good.

I've been custom making ugly drum smokers for friends and family for a while now. Only way to BBQ for me! So stable, easy and efficient!

image.jpg

I may have a hankering for some smoked meat this weekend although I haven't made any specific plans. I may do that pulled beef with peppers & onions again. That was mighty tasty.

I'm thinking about getting a Traeger pellet smoker. Anyone using one out there? Pluses and minuses?

I'm thinking about getting a Traeger pellet smoker. Anyone using one out there? Pluses and minuses?

I've had one for years. I will say that when they are working they are tough to beat. Just turn the dial and wait. That said, I've struggled with a lot of issues. Some of them my fault and some of them not. I've replaced the hot rod twice, the fan, auger pin (my fault), and control panel. I'm not sure if the newer models have these same issues or not? They are easy fix, but once your warranty runs out you'll have to pay for parts. Do a bit of research...I've had many very frustrating moments with my Traeger Grill, but many more good moments.

Also check out Green Mountain Grills

Yeah I replaced every part on my traeger (some more than once)z. Easy to work on and they were good about sending replacement parts.

Traegers are really best at BBQing and not smoking though. They have a tough time holding a consistent low n slow. I sold mine after 4 years and upgraded to a Memphis pellet smoker. It's a much nicer rig but it should be for the price.

x2 on GMG's

I've had one for years. I will say that when they are working they are tough to beat. Just turn the dial and wait. That said, I've struggled with a lot of issues. Some of them my fault and some of them not. I've replaced the hot rod twice, the fan, auger pin (my fault), and control panel. I'm not sure if the newer models have these same issues or not? They are easy fix, but once your warranty runs out you'll have to pay for parts. Do a bit of research...I've had many very frustrating moments with my Traeger Grill, but many more good moments.

Also check out Green Mountain Grills

Do you find that the smoke level is there? I would be doing brisket, pastrami and bacon mostly.

It's not really a true smoker...you'll have a tough time getting that good bark on your brisket and pastrami. You can get decent bark if you give it a good coat of brown sugar or honey, but it's not quite the same as a smoker, that's why they're called pellet grills.

I've got a 4 pound Butt roast in the Green Egg right now, it's gonna make some delicious pulled pork fajitas. It's been there 6 hours at 280F, the last hour wrapped in foil.

I realized buying in bulk has slowed the smokage. Seems when I want to smoke, the meat isnt defrosted. And I dont really want to buy one cause I have one. Anyways the last of the hams I bought on sale. We are out of sugar so I just threw it in hickory and cherry.

I did not smoke today but I did months ago. I took the leftover butts (smoked four ate one) and wrapped with heavy foil making sure to remove all air pockets and froze in deep freeze.

Yesterday morning I put one in fridge to thaw. This morning placed it on counter and left it there till it was 40 degrees in center. Placed thawed wrapped butt on rack over drip pan in a 250 degree oven and monitored temp till it was 160 degrees in middle.

It was awesome. Really couldn't tell it wasn't fresh from smoker. I'm fixing to eat some pulled pork sandwiches on buns. Doesn't get much better than this!

Smoking 8lbs beef, 12lbs of pork and 12lbs of chicken for a work lunch next Monday. I'm tired just thinking about pulling all the meat.

Back