Minimum time before bottling, assuming healthy fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caphector

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been reading up on fast, low-gravity beers, and I've seen that the keys to a healthy fermentation are pitching a good starter and good temperature control.

I've got a stout I started on Saturday; it's a 1.044 beer that I pitched a good starter to. Picked up right away, bubbled like mad for a day and then finished up at 1.014, one point above my expected FG. I need to do a second check to confirm that it's stable, but (pending that) would it adversely affect the finished beer to bottle it?

My samples haven't shown any off-flavors at this point, so I'm not sure how much the yeast will clean up.

Normally I'd just let it go for three weeks as normal, but my dad will be in town this weekend (seven days from brewing) and it'd be fun to bottle with him.

I need to do a second check to confirm that it's stable, but (pending that) would it adversely affect the finished beer to bottle it?

Do a 2nd and a 3rd check. Make sure you have stable gravity for 3 days. You want to impress your dad but not with glass grenades. I'm a 3-4 week guy too because I can wait though... I'm also afraid of the boom boom danger and mess.

Yeah, I don't want bottle bombs; I'm keeping a close eye on the gravity (just checked again, down to ~1.011 since Monday). If I don't have three consecutive readings that are the same then I won't bottle. It'd be cool to bottle with him, but not required. He can just come back to try the beer. :D

I say leave it. it can be hard to detect off flavors in 6 day old beer...just too green and 'wild' with no subtleties yet.

Unless you work at Budweiser, beer should not go from grain to can in under 7 days :)

I personally think 2 weeks is plenty for a 1.044 beer. I do 2 weeks for just about everything and it works for me.....

For those that see this thread later, I decided not to bottle. Gravity was stable for three days running but I didn't have the time to get the bottles I needed. Dad'll have to be content with the RIS that was bottled a couple weeks ago. Thanks for the responses!

Back