Nut brown recipe, any thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwomp313

Reaction score
I'll be brewing this in 2 weeks, already have the ingredients but am wondering if any quantities should maybe be revised?

Nut Brown

Type: Partial Mash
Batch Size: 6.00 gal

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 27.27 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 36.36 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
0.50 lb Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.50 lb Toasted Malt (27.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 25.2 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.4 IBU

Special B is a crystal malt, so with thoes two combined you've got about 13.5% crystal malts, which is way too much IMHO. I say down the Crystal 40L to .75# and down the Special B to .25# for a combined total of 1# crystal malts.

what yeast were you planning on this one? as you look like you're doing english style, I'd suggest White Labs London Ale, I think that'd be awesome in this one.

Crystal I think is fine percentage wise, just in the upper end. Personally I would include some 60 by robbing from your 40 and Spec. B. So something like 3/4# C40, 1/2#C60 and 1/4# Spec. B. Basically the bulk of the crystal is made up of the lightest.

Next is the Victory, Amber and Toasted. Together you're talking about 15%. I don't use them but 'think' they normally run about 2.5-5% of the grain bill.

Last is the absence of a dark roasted malt. Somewhere around 3% (6 ounces) of something like chocolate, that's your nuttiness.

Well, sort of, Ray. Excellent "nutty" flavors are also imparted by Victory, Amber and Toasted malts.

I agree that you should dial those back some, Bwomp. Me, I'd drop the toasted malt and Special B entirely, replacing them with more Pale Malt or Maris Otter.

Simplicity is always a good approach. When I brew Brown Ale, I only use three malts: Pale, Crystal and Chocolate. Sometimes I'll toast some of the Pale. But that's about as far as I go; if I'm too lazy to toast the pale malt, I'll toss in some Amber or Special Roast malt.

Brown Ale recipes all too often turn into "kitchen sink" grists, and that's really not necessary. You need some nutty roastiness and some crystal sweetness, balanced by just enough bitterness to cut the malt.

Good luck!

Bob

When I brew Brown Ale, I only use three malts: Pale, Crystal and Chocolate.

In the simplest terms I think you're dead on. I'll start with something like this:

87% Pale
10% Crystal
3% Dark Roasted Malt/Chocolate

you could check out the brown ale recipe under my avatar. I have made it a few times and I really like it. The little bit of brown sugar / maple with the Am Ale 2 yeast really comes out nice.

Don't want to hijack this thread but whats the difference flavor wise and fermentable wise from crystal malt (say 60l) and amber malt?

I would swap out the Special B with Special roast. I made the best Nut Browns using this malt. This adds a great nutty flavor. I did not use any victory when using special roast.

Thank you everyone for the input! Now as far as the yeast goes I've been using Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast and washing it and recycling it. (This will be the third time it's being used). I know it's a little unusual but I really like the yeast. It's very clean tasting and with the weather lately up here I can maintain the proper temperatures for it no problem. I'm not trying to stick true to authenticity really I just want to make something good with my own personal touches.

Don't want to hijack this thread but whats the difference flavor wise and fermentable wise from crystal malt (say 60l) and amber malt?

Amber malt is a toasted malt and will have bread crust, biscuit, toast, nutty, etc flavors.

Crystal 60 obviously has sweet and caramel flavors.

You are getting some good advice here to simplify that recipe. I have a related question regarding the toasty, biscuity, nutty malts here.

I've often heard that Maris Otter provides some of these flavors over regular US 2-row, but maybe to my untrained tongue, this character is perhaps most striking in a simple pale ale or bitter and that it might be lost in a brown, porter or stout. If I start adding in amber, victory, special roast, and even chocolate, I assume the difference between the two base malts are greatly narrowed?

If not, what benefit is received from using Maris Otter with these specialty grains?

I've often heard that Maris Otter provides some of these flavors over regular US 2-row, but maybe to my untrained tongue, this character is perhaps most striking in a simple pale ale or bitter and that it might be lost in a brown, porter or stout. If I start adding in amber, victory, special roast, and even chocolate, I assume the difference between the two base malts are greatly narrowed?

If not, what benefit is received from using Maris Otter with these specialty grains?

You're absolutely correct. Pale malts - regardless of variety - are so similar that only in the beers brewed almost entirely with pale malts can you detect any difference. That's why SMaSH beers are so educative: They reduce variables to the point that distinct differences between ingredients are readily apparent.

Here's an interesting thought experiment: Think of pale malt as meat - say, turkey. A wild turkey killed in the deep woods is going to taste different than a wild turkey killed near soy or corn fields (different feed) is going to taste different than a farm-raised domestic bird, provided you cook them all in the same way: Plain. Now, if you start putting things like Caribbean jerk seasoning or BBQ sauce or mango chutney or even extra virgin olive oil on the meat, or change the manner in which it's cooked, the flavor changes entirely.

Indeed, depending on the strength of flavor in the accompaniment and/or preparation technique, any flavor imparted by the turkey itself can be completely lost in the flavors imparted by the accompaniment/technique. Some differences are more subtle, like between oven roasting and pan-seared. Others are more obvious, like oven-roasted versus slow-simmered with Vindaloo sauce.

That's the parallel with pale malts. Differences in the malt itself - UK 2-row (Maris Otter, etc.) vs. US 2-row vs. EU Pilsner - are like differences in the meat itself - wild vs. farm-raised. Other differences come from technique; the same malt can taste completely different based on what technique you use in the brewhouse. Differences in prep for the meat - pan-seared vs. oven-roasted vs. boiled - are like differences in brewing techniques - single-infusion vs. decoction mash, one hour boil vs. 5-6 hour boil to concentrate wort (a la Scotch Ale). Other differences come from other ingredients cooked with the main ingredient - with turkey, plain vs. jerk vs. vindaloo; with malt, plain vs. Crystal vs. Chocolate vs. ??? else in the grist.

Different base malts do tend to marry better with different style grists, just like different meats tend to marry better with different dishes. It's difficult to make something resembling blackened redfish with, say, shark; shark is a more strongly-flavored fish, and that impacts the dish. Same with malt. It's difficult to brew a Tripel with Maris Otter that's true to style; you're better off using Pils malt.

Back on topic, Nut Brown Ales are a good candidate for Maris Otter and other more highly-flavored pale malts, as the crackery, biscuity characteristics of the pale malt meld well with the flavors you intend to extract from the specialty malts in a Nut Brown grist. That said, you can brew an outstanding Nut Brown using all domestic ingredients; I've done it. It's going to be slightly different, but it'll still be excellent.

This Ingredient Flavor Exercise brought to you by the letters "OMGWTFBBQ!!!1!!"

:D

Bob

Back