Broken Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvlpdillon

Reaction score
Even though I heard heard the horror stories of dropping a full carboy I had until now managed to avoid it. At least it was only full of sanitizer. Other than the minor cut on my hand, only my pride and wallet were hurt needing to replace with a Better Bottle.

I was rushing to drain the sanitizer and didn't dry the outside first. Clearly in hindsight a mistake. After seeing how this exploded please do not make the same mistake as me. Or switch to a Better Bottle before you need to get stitches.

If anyone was curious at the time I was just getting ready to juice my apples for cider. After my detours this is complete now.

Yikes, glad you weren't hurt too badly!

I love my Better Bottles, and won't buy glass in the future. I still use my two 5 gallon carboys (on the rare occasion that I use a secondary) but they do make me nervous. I've taken to keeping them inside 5 gallon buckets while in use...not terribly convenient and they block the view of the contents, but at least they offer some protection.

Threads like this made me buy a Better Bottle, and I wish I'd had one since the beginning. Glad you escaped without serious injury.

Before I even fill a carboy it goes into a milk crate and the crate goes on a dolly (if I need to move it far).

If I need to empty it or rack the contents to another carboy it (the crate) goes on the counter and I use an autosyphon. It is mostly empty before I man-handle it.

If I need to rack sanitizer, same thing.

Washing in the sink? It's totally empty.

You guys are working harder, not smarter...it's no wonder you've broken them. ;)

I have over 20 carboys and have yet to break/crack/chip one. :D

I quit brewing for years because of a serious drop. It was mostly fear on my part but I got back into it again. I was pretty leery of the Better Bottles, bought one and now have 4. A fantastic and safe innovation! I still keep mine in milk crates though, just easier to move.

I shattered the bottom of one of my carboys by placing it on the ground.

I use those carboy handles that fit around the neck and have always had good luck. However, while moving the empty carboy from one location to another I just set it down and crash.

Luckily all that was hurt was my wallet.

Talking to the guy at the LHBS he said he always puts down a piece of cardboard first. A tiny pebble can put stress on the bottom and shatter.

I use several layers of cardboard in the crates. When they get too wet/unsightly I just toss them out.

Yes, never place a carboy straight on the cement...an old piece of carpet works well...car mat too.

I don't think I've jinxed myself. ;)

Glad to hear that you are not severely hurt, glass carboys can be dangerous. I keep mine in milk crates as well or I use the carboy hauler to carry them around. I use either carpet or cardboard in the bottom of the milk crates. I have not got any Better Bottles yet, I think they are a good alternative but I don't think they last as long as a glass carboy can.

Back