What professional breweries use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJS625

Reaction score
My brother and I are in the process of planing our first AG rig. I Just wanted to start a thread to discuss how professional microbreweries or brew pubs do things. For example, heat sources used, type of sparge performed, step mashing or not, etc.

From what I gather few if any breweries use a recirculating system and some use steam jacket vessels. Any other input guys/girls?

I've seen quite a few pics like this of microbreweries mash tuns:
http://www.millstreambrewing.com/images/r16.JPG

Low paddles turn at a constant slow rate or only every now and then? In either case they must stop them when they sparge for the grain bed to set right?

Input appreciated!

From the breweries I have toured:

-About half use steam jackets and about half use direct fired. The bigger breweries tend to have the steam jacket set-up (with internal/external calandria), smaller ones tend to use direct fired. I think I might have been to one that uses electricity to heat their mash/sparge water.
-They all use a continues sparge method, I do not think anything else would be practical or efficient.
-Almost all micros use a single infusion, I know I have been to breweries that say they have done or could do decoctions but few do on a regular basis.

Yeah, those paddles mix the mash. I suppose they turn them off to sparge. I know some breweries have "rakes" in the latuer tun to aid in lautering.

Keep in mind, some of the things commercial brewers do are aimed at reducing costs, not producing better product.

The OP never said anything about trying to imitate the pros. Sounded to me like someone is getting into brewing, learning about all grain, matching homebrew equipment with what he has seen in pictures from pro set-ups. Trying to learn more about brewing.

Could be cool thread with pictures of equipment from pros taken by members here detailing every step of the process. Innocent enough question/thread, seems to be really poorly received.:confused:

There are at number of homebrewers on this forum that I know of that use steam in the mash, maybe not in the same way that a Microbrewery does but the OP has a valid question.

I'm with you.

I am surprised at the attitude taken here. I also read the topic and hoped to find some interesting ideas from the group. I'd like to see more helpful info.

I have brewed professionally on many different systems ranging from 7 bbl-50 bbl. All but one have used steam jacketed kettles. Most mash tuns in brewpub systems are just very large, stainless steel versions of a Gott cooler. No rakes, no mash mixer. I have used a system that did have a heated mash tun with mixer. The entire mash was then pumped into a lauter tun with rakes.

It took quite a bit longer to mash and lauter with that system. I cannot honestly say it made better beer.

I feel if you are willing to spend a little bit more to buy fully modified base malt, there is no reason to step mash. A Gott cooler and a direct fired kettle will make great beer.

For the hot liquor tank, it really doesn't matter what method is used to heat it. I have used both electric immersion elements and steam jacketed. Electric is easier and cheaper to build on a larger scale. Direct fire gives you a little more versatility.

Take a look at my brew frame build. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/brewstand-build-finished-1st-brew-today-117290/

I tried to incorporate most of what I had in my professional rigs in this build.

I feel if you are willing to spend a little bit more to buy fully modified base malt, there is no reason to step mash. A Gott cooler and a direct fired kettle will make great beer.

Wayne,

Thanks for speaking up and saying that. Last week I posted in another thread that I saw no reason to Step Mash with today's fully modified malts readily available here in the US. A few posters chimed in and said that I was absolutely wrong, and that step mashing was the key to better beer. If I lived in Europe, I might agree because fully modified malt isn't as available as it is here. I agree with you, there is no reason to step mash with fully modified malt.

Guy,

If you take a good hard look at what the big breweries in Europe are doing, you will find that hey are asking their malt suppliers for more highly modified malt. It is less expensive to brew, energy-wise, with fully modified grains.

The green movement has had quite an effect on the German brewers. The maltsters have taken notice.

I have used traditionally modified German malts to make Pils. Taking the time to hit all the steps. There was no taste difference between it and a Pils made with fully modified malt with a single infusion process.

As homebrewers, we can use any method we wish. For me, my time is more valuable then the time and effort required to step mash. The end product is not able to be distinguished as any different.

Here is the mash tun from Smuttynose brewing in New Hampshire:
100_3007.jpg

You can see the "rakes" in there and the false bottom, not too different than a homebrewer except that instead of a cooler it is steam jacketed to maintain temp. They lauter in the same vessel. They also boil with a steam jacketed kettle, there is a steam generator used for both the MLT and boil kettle.

They also use blow off tubes:
100_3018.jpg

There are Steam Kettles like this one CLEVELAND KDM-40T 40 GALLON TILT DIRECT STEAM KETTLE - eBay (item 200359319198 end time Jul-10-09 11:33:35 PDT) for $600. I could easily see someone like Yuri Rage or Kladue building a steam generator to power a Steam Kettle. Talk about brewing like the big boys. The Steam Kettle referenced even has an electric tilt function that could be used to dump your grains.

Now that would be a sweet toy to add to your home brewery. I could totally see one of those polished up nice, being used to brew 1BBl batches.

I'm responding out of interest in this thread. I, for one, think it would be neat to model a homebrewery after a professional one at a smaller scale... If only cost wasnt a factor....

Now that would be a sweet toy to add to your home brewery. I could totally see one of those polished up nice, being used to brew 1BBl batches.

I'm responding out of interest in this thread. I, for one, think it would be neat to model a homebrewery after a professional one at a smaller scale... If only cost wasnt a factor....

If you consider a Blichmann 55 gallon brew Kettle is about $19 more expensive than the steam kettle I posted, it kinda raises an eyebrow. All you would need is a source of steam.

If you consider a Blichmann 55 gallon brew Kettle is about $19 more expensive than the steam kettle I posted, it kinda raises an eyebrow. All you would need is a source of steam.
I was thinking the same thing...but does that factor in the $349 (!) shipping charge?

-Joe

Thanks all for the comments. To whom ever mentioned the cross posting, sorry I just felt this thread was better suited for the equipment section. I've seen how some members use steam (Yuri) and it is intriguing at the least.

Thanks

I have brewed professionally on many different systems ranging from 7 bbl-50 bbl. All but one have used steam jacketed kettles. Most mash tuns in brewpub systems are just very large, stainless steel versions of a Gott cooler. No rakes, no mash mixer. I have used a system that did have a heated mash tun with mixer. The entire mash was then pumped into a lauter tun with rakes.

It took quite a bit longer to mash and lauter with that system. I cannot honestly say it made better beer.

For the hot liquor tank, it really doesn't matter what method is used to heat it. I have used both electric immersion elements and steam jacketed. Electric is easier and cheaper to build on a larger scale. Direct fire gives you a little more versatility.

Take a look at my brew frame build. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/brewstand-build-finished-1st-brew-today-117290/

I tried to incorporate most of what I had in my professional rigs in this build.

fixed your link. Great job by the way.

humann_brewing

Thanks for fixing the link. I want back and changed it in my original post.

Thank you for the comments on the rig. I had fun building it and I am having even more fun using it.

When I worked for Coors, I was involved in a project with Johnson & Wales Culinary Institute in RI. Coors donated a 1/2 bbl brewery to be used by the students to get a greater understanding of beer and the brewing process.

I was sent out to Providence to commission the brewery and to train the instructors on how to use it. I also wrote up some recipes for them.

The brewery was build by pico Brewing Systems. It used a electric powered Steam generator for the hot side and glycol jacketed Unitanks for fermenters. After fermentation was over, all the beer was put in Cornelius kegs for serving.

Here are some pictures of the rig.

j&w01.jpg

Kettle on left with a condensing stack. Mash/Lauter Tun in center and HLT on right.
The steam generator was built into the bottom of the skid.

j&w02.jpg

Two 1/2 bbl (15.5 gallon) Glycol jacketed Unitanks. Glycol reservoir, cooling unit and pumps are housed in the cabinet between the two tanks.

j&w03.jpg

Close up of one of the fermenters.

Back