Starting to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolnacs

Reaction score
Looking to begin keggin instead of bottling over and over. Don't want to jump in too deep right away, and want to start w/ a smaller fridge. Any suggestions? 2.5 gal? 5 gal corny? Should i use a 4.4 cu/ft fridge?

Any direction someone can give would help.

I've only used 5's. They are something like 9"x25" a 4.4 cu/ft without a freezer should work, but it depends on the model of fridge.

5 gallons are the most common and the most available. Be aware there is only a very small group of mini-fridges that are tall enough to put a 5 gal corny in without having to modify the freezer compartment, and that can be tricky. Pretty much if it has a freezer in it, they are not likely to fit. I don't remember the models that do fit cornys, but you can google it. They are hard to find though as people who keg snatch them up off the used market pretty quick.

Going with a kegerator, or modifying a chest freezer is the options most brewers end up going with. If space is a concern the kegerator is better suited. I ended up with a scratch and dent (minor) kegerator after spending about a week trying to find a fridge.

The overall cost can get up there pretty quick with kegs, refrigeration, co2, regulators, taps. Most of that can not be avoided with the exception of starting of with picnic taps till you can afford some decent faucets. Don't skimp on faucets, wait till you have the cash and get the Perlicks. Kegconnection is a good source for the kegs, co2, regulator set-up, etc and they are a vendor here, on ebay, and through Amazon.

Read up on it and take your time. There is some good info out there, and plenty of people to ask questions when they arise.

Cheers

thanks for the good advice - just found this site and its good to get info from people w/ interest.

a small chest freezer like the 7.2cf chest freezer is in the same price range as a 4.4cf minifridge.

If you are going to have it in the house, I'd lean towards the minifridge, because it is smaller and looks better inside. If you are gonna have it in the garage, go with the chest fereezer, you will appreciate having room for more kegs.

Back