How to calculate total volume of grain and water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
I'm trying to caclulate the total volume I will have if I combine 3.5 gallons of water and 10.5 lbs of grain. Is there a piece of software that will help me with this, or a well-known formula for how much water the grains will displace?

Nice! Those are both great, thanks a ton!

Looks like my 5 gallon will work perfectly:
11lbs of grain @ 1.25 = 4.32 gallons needed

Resurrecting a dinosaur here rather than creating a new thread. My question is how accurate is the volume calculator from rackers.org? 28 lbs of grain in a 12 gallon cooler should fit with a gallon to spare but I'd rather not find out the hard way. (1.25 qt/lb)

It's easy to find out - just run the calculation manually:
Mash Vol. Req'd (gal) = Water Vol. + Grain lbs. * 0.08

You'll get:
8.75 gal + 2.24 = 10.99 gal.

28 pounds at 1.25qt. per pound came out to be 10.99 so it would be close. Even if it was off a bit thicker mash shouldn't hurt much if any. I usually add the water then the grains to the tun, but since this is so close I would add water to the grains.

So, I want to make Maris Otter sMasH, but in the original recipe batch volume is 28 litres, but my kettle is total volume 30 liters. How can I adjust grain quantity so that beer remains the same?

Back