Critique My Plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSean

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm looking to get into kegging and am hoping to get some feedback from you guys.

Here's what I've got so far:
15 cu. ft. Chest Freezer
4 Corny Kegs [assuming the UPS man actually dropped them off today].

Here's what I'm looking to buy
5# co2 tank [58.85 from Beverage Factory]
Dual Gauge co2 regulator [35.10 form BF]
4-way brass co2 manifold [39.99 from AHB]
4 gas-in ball lock fittings [17.00 from Brewer's Discount]
4 beer-out ball lock fittings [17.00 from Brewer's discount]
4 - 4 5/8" Nipple Shanks [$42.00 from Serv-U]
4 Perlick Faucets [$140.40 from Beverage Factory]
4 basic black faucet handles [6.40 from Serv-U]
Thermostat - [47.50 from Beverage Factory]

Am I missing anything (besides line)?

Anyone know of a cheaper resource for these parts? [I've costed them at the above places as well as MoreBeer, Superior Products, Micromatic, Northern Brewer, and Kegconnection.com]

This totals $404.36 before shipping, and approximately $437 after shipping. Does that seem about right to you guys for a 4-keg set up? [Recognizing that I've spent about another $200 on the freezer and kegs].

All thoughts and snarky comments appreciated.

And damn, this hobby has gotten very expensive. Thankfully I've got no SWMBO to ***** and moan.

Good size chest freezer...I wish I bought a larger one.

I would go with threaded ball lock beverage and gas connections, I wish I did. Makes cleaning bev lines out easier. I've seen people fill 2 liter bottles with cleaners and use carbonater caps and pressurize them. Then move their beverage line to the gas disconnect and run beer line cleaner and sanitizer though that way. Smaller investment upfront and makes things easier.

I see your only getting 2 items from Serv-U - not sure how much shipping is vs. the price of those 2 items somewhere else but you should be able to get some basic handles and nipple shanks from on of the other stores.

Looks like you have done your homework...good list and good luck!

You plan on building a collar for your chest freezer right?

1f1fan said:
Good size chest freezer...I wish I bought a larger one.

I would go with threaded ball lock beverage and gas connections, I wish I did. Makes cleaning bev lines out easier. I've seen people fill 2 liter bottles with cleaners and use carbonater caps and pressurize them. Then move their beverage line to the gas disconnect and run beer line cleaner and sanitizer though that way. Smaller investment upfront and makes things easier.

I see your only getting 2 items from Serv-U - not sure how much shipping is vs. the price of those 2 items somewhere else but you should be able to get some basic handles and nipple shanks from on of the other stores.

Looks like you have done your homework...good list and good luck!

You plan on building a collar for your chest freezer right?

Yes, I'm building a collar for it this weekend.

Serv-U actually had the best price, by far, on the nipple shanks, so that makes up for the additional shipping cost. Basically, they're $14-16 cheaper (for 4) than any other place I've seen.

5lb CO2 bottles are fine for dispensing only, but they go quick when you pre-flush kegs before filling and force carb and transfer keg to keg or bottle, etc...
I see large bottles on Craigslist all the time. It's also a good idea to have two. For some reason, even in a major metro region like San Diego, the people who will fill/swap your bottle have the shortest working hours on earth. Mine was always gong dry at 4:59 on friday afternoon with a party on Saturday. Now with two, I can wait until I drive to work one day and go to the Beverage factory warehouse around the corner (they fill very cheap).
Cheers,
Jeremy

Looking good man. Have fun building your system up. And Jeremy is right go with a bigger tank if you can - I have a 20lb tank and love it.

Weird, I just went to check Bev. Factory prices for larger tank sizes, and the 5% off everything they were doing last night when I was price checking is now gone. Anyone know what's up with that?

What price would you guys expect to pay for a larger CO2 tank? [The craigslist here isn't all that great, so I've got to buy retail or off ebay].

Pisser about missing the sale. On San Diego's Craigslist right now there is a guy with a couple of 10 to 20 lb aluminum tanks for either $75 each or for both. I hate the vague ads. I've seen ads range from $40 to the low $100s and for all sizes from 5 to fullsize welders tanks (whatever that is in pounds)
Anyway, don't panic. You have some time. First you need to find where you will get your CO2. There is a big range in prices there, and differences in service. Some places don't like to fill on the spot and will make you swap your shiny new thank for a dull one covered in stickers. Some members in my club have developed good relationships with welders who will fill their tanks in exchange for homebrew. Keep your eyes open and the deal will come to you eventually for the tank. Don't blow it the first night. Forgive me if you already saw this in another thread (or 2) but do the following. Set your system all up without kegs on (unless you know they are already saturated with CO2.) Turn the pressure on to about 10 to 20 lbs, and check all connections for leaks with soapy water. Then turn the main valve at the tank off and walkaway for at least several hours or over night. The outgoing pressure in the lines should stay fairly stable. If it slowly drains, you have a leak somewhere. You can't do this with fresh kegs because they will continue to absorb CO2 into solution for up to 2 days, and will absorb more when they get cold.
Cheers,
Jeremy

Germey said:
Pisser about missing the sale. On San Diego's Craigslist right now there is a guy with a couple of 10 to 20 lb aluminum tanks for either $75 each or for both. I hate the vague ads. I've seen ads range from $40 to the low $100s and for all sizes from 5 to fullsize welders tanks (whatever that is in pounds)
Anyway, don't panic. You have some time. First you need to find where you will get your CO2. There is a big range in prices there, and differences in service. Some places don't like to fill on the spot and will make you swap your shiny new thank for a dull one covered in stickers. Some members in my club have developed good relationships with welders who will fill their tanks in exchange for homebrew. Keep your eyes open and the deal will come to you eventually for the tank. Don't blow it the first night. Forgive me if you already saw this in another thread (or 2) but do the following. Set your system all up without kegs on (unless you know they are already saturated with CO2.) Turn the pressure on to about 10 to 20 lbs, and check all connections for leaks with soapy water. Then turn the main valve at the tank off and walkaway for at least several hours or over night. The outgoing pressure in the lines should stay fairly stable. If it slowly drains, you have a leak somewhere. You can't do this with fresh kegs because they will continue to absorb CO2 into solution for up to 2 days, and will absorb more when they get cold.
Cheers,
Jeremy

I hadn't seen that before. Thanks!

I'd add extra ball lock fittings for filling/tranfering and cleaning...

It's also nice to have some extra kegs for conditioning/storage, so you have some on deck when you empty a keg..

BierMuncher said:
Times 1,000,000,000,000.

Best thing I ever did.

For the n00b - when you guys say "threaded" connections, what threads are you referring to? The part that connects to the keg or the part that connects to the hose? I've seen references to barb v. MFL, is that what you're talking about?

Here is barbed:
barbed.jpg
Here is threaded (aka Flare):
mfl.jpg
with the threaded, you put this in the end of your beer/gas line:
barbandnut.jpg
The funny (not) thing about hose barbs is that after they have been clamped on for any length of time they pretty much have to be cut off. With he threaded version, you just have a small box wrench and you can disconnect and reconnect in a few seconds.
Cheers,
Jeremy

Back