Did I order the wrong RTD?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lustreking

Reaction score
I want to replace the K-type thermocouple in my eHERMS with an RTD, so I ordered this guy.

After I bought it, I saw the temperature range 50º-100ºC. The 100º is fine, but what happens below 50º (122ºF)?

I would wait untill you get it. It's probably fine. I think the seller can't translate to English well. In the description it says in one part pt100 and another part a k type probe.

Yah I dunno about the K-type listing, it definitely looks like an RTD (the 3wires)

Ive used thermocouples outside their working range and they dont read the temp correctly (non-linear range) Im guessing that it would be the same for an RTD, but like Jrems said try it out when you get it, I mean you already ordered it afterall

even then, how often do you care about temps lower than 122F? the only point i could think about would be chilling, but you could always add an analog thermometer to your kettle

I dont think the seller knows what he is selling.

PT100 is what you want. This means at 0degC the resistance is 100 ohm, and it scales proportionally up to 100 deg C (I believe the resistance is around 180 ohm @ 100degC). Anyway, you should be fine! You will be able to measure below 50 C

lustreking what was your experience with using k type thermocouple in your build? Also what is the reason your changing to RTD. I'm putting together an eHerms build and have access to k type thermocouple probes.

K thermocouple came with my PID so that's why I used it at first. It worked fine for a while, but the cable eventually developed an intermittent short. Because of this, I wanted to switch to a more durable, more flexible, and replaceable cable.

Thanks lustreking. I work with thermocouple daily and if you had solid core wire you were probably experiencing a broken wire. The solid core wire is unpleasant to work with especially if there's a lot flexing. So you had no temp accuracy issues affecting your brew.

Yes, it was solid core wire. I don't think that I had any trouble with temperature when it was working.

Back