Building a mashtun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottT

Reaction score
Is a 5 gallon igloo cooler with a floor manifold sufficient for 5 gallon batches? I'm ready to step over into the all grain arena and I've already got several 5 gallon coolers but no 10 gallon.

Anyone ever maxed out a 5 gal cooler making a 5 gal. batch? If so, what gravity were you trying to attain?

ScottT said:
Is a 5 gallon igloo cooler with a floor manifold sufficient for 5 gallon batches? I'm ready to step over into the all grain arena and I've already got several 5 gallon coolers but no 10 gallon.

Anyone ever maxed out a 5 gal cooler making a 5 gal. batch? If so, what gravity were you trying to attain?

I got 14.5 lbs of grain in my 5 gallon cooler, and my sparge arm barely had enough room to spin. That was pretty much maxed out.
I think the gravity I was trying to hit was 1.065-1.069 if I remember correctly.

Keep in mind I don't have a false bottom or a mash pad in it. I use a stainless steel braid only.

HTH :)

For regular 5 gallon batches, a 5 gallon cooler is fine. Just don't expect to do a barleywine with it. I usually use between 11-14 lbs of grain and haven't had any problems in my 5 gallon.

Back