Freezer or mini fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
All,

This is my first time posting. I've searched the forums, but this is all new to me, so I'm not really sure what to search for. I'm going to start my first batch in the middle of June. I've read many articles that states you need to keep your fermentation bucket/carboy in the range of 65 - 75 deg (or thereabouts). I live in Texas and summer is about to hit, so I need to be able to keep this stuff cool.

I went to Lowe's and Home Depot today to look at their mini-fridges and freezers. They have the PERFECT freezer at both places that's 5.0 cubic ft. and would fit my primary great and I'm pretty sure a carboy. (Currently I'm only going to be doing a primary bucket fermenter, and not carboy, until I get some experience.) The only problem that I see is that I can't find temperature ranges for these freezers, and I'm not sure if I can get 70 degree temparatures out of a freezer. The only other thing that I'm seeing is that I might have to got with a small full-size refrigerator, but I really wasn't wanting to do that if I could avoid it. I won't be doing lagers because I'm more of an ale guy.

Can anyone help me with what to decide on? If you're using a freezer, what temperature ranges can I expect to get within range? Many of these have adjustable settings, but the only tell you "colder-warmer."

Thanks for your help!

Wakadaka is right, you're gonna need a temp controller as you'll never be able to keep it at the right temp. Here's one on eBay but shop around.

I personally went with the freezer but that's just my preference. I have the Kenmore 8.9cf and can fit two fermentings buckets in at the same time. Or, I can fit 4 corney kegs on the floor.

If you're interested here's the sticky on sizing a chest freezer for corney kegs.

IMG_0342.jpg

It seems like what you guys are saying is that I can get any freezer as long as the temperature controller is hooked up to it? Can I get 65-75 degree temps with the freezer and a temp controller? I've been looking at them and it looks promising. How hard are these controllers to install?

It seems like what you guys are saying is that I can get any freezer as long as the temperature controller is hooked up to it? Can I get 65-75 degree temps with the freezer and a temp controller? I've been looking at them and it looks promising. How hard are these controllers to install?

I don't have one, but my understanding is that you plug it into the wall and then the freezer into it. The temperature controller has a thermometer probe thing that you put inside the freezer. You set the temperature at your desired temperature, lets say 65. Then when the thermometer reads above 65 it turns the freezer on temporarily. Once its back down to 65 degrees it turns off again. freezers are very well insulated, so apparently they don't even turn on that frequently.

There are also temperature controllers that can heat and cool. You would have to mount a heat bulb or something inside of the freezer, but if your temperature drops below 65 (or whatever you have it set at) it will start heating it back up to the appropriate temperature.

And yes any freezer will work fine with a temperature controller, assuming its not broken. And even though you don't want to lager, I would make sure that it can get down in the low 30s. Thats really only a concern if you are buying a used one.

I think there are some temperature controllers that come wired and some that don't. I don't really know the difference except I think wired ones are cheaper. And you would need a way to get the thermometer inside of the freezer, but I think thats about it. I have never used a temperature controller, so this is all based on information I have read second hand on here.

But I don't think it should be too hard to set up. Probably easier than making beer.

Can I get 65-75 degree temps with the freezer and a temp controller? I've been looking at them and it looks promising. How hard are these controllers to install?

Yes you can and I also only do Ales. I set them to 73/74 when I first put the fermenter in and then drop it to the low to mid 60's once fermentation starts. Temp just depends on what I'm brewing. And when fermentation is complete you can turn the controller down to cold crash as well.

And Wakadaka is correct. Freezer plugs in to the controller and the controller plugs in to the wall. Just turn the freezer down to it's lowest setting. I have the Johnson Controlls A419 and yes you can use it for heating as well. You just have to remove the cover and move a jumper. The two I purchased were pre-assembled so all I had to do was drill a hole through the side for the temp probe. Just be carefull if you do this 'cause if you hit a coolant line you'll just have a big box. Turn it on for a few minutes and then turn it off. You'll start to see condensation where the coolant lines are. You can then drill between them. See the below pic of mine.

The fan is used to circulate the air for an even distribution of cold air.

Here are some helpful links:

DIY heat source
DIY temp controller
Eva-dry (I use these to keep the humidity out)
Johnson Controls operating instructions for the A419

137.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Y'all are awesome! Thanks for the information! I've read about drilling the hole into the freezer. How do you seal the hole? With silicone caulk or something?

Back