My son is going to ruin my pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record i would be saying the same the same thing if the airlock was filled with water. It is just lazy parenting

I just do not understand how hard it is to keep the fermenter in a room the child does not have access to.

I'm not advocating one way or the other about vodka in the air lock, but I have to ask, do you have children? I've got a 3 year old that is a bit of a terror and loves to go where he shouldn't and loves to make a mess of things.

[QUOT
For the record i would be saying the same the same thing if the airlock was filled with water. It is just lazy parenting

OP here: I suppose this is my own fault, but you don't know all the facts. Still, I find it pretty ridiculous that you are accusing me of being a "lazy parent." Seriously, where do you get off? This occurred over the space of two hours and while we were trying to clean our place up for an open house. I didn't have anywhere else to put the bucket at the time (because the place had to look spic'n'span) and my little guy was all over the place, getting into everything. After we finished up, I had the moment to write this post because I found his fascination amusing. At all times, he was within both my and my wife's sight. I subsequently moved the bucket out of reach after the open house exactly because he spilled the airlock and demonstrated that he would do so again.

I note that you're a new member, so you should know that I won't use stronger language than this or post again in response to you because this forum is about collegial conversations regarding making beer. My kids are safe and have never gotten into my beer supplies before or since my OP. This was a first time occasion and I have adjusted my storage practices exactly because of it. RDWHAHB, and get your nose out of my business.

margarita-chill-out.gif

I assume you mean they let you shoot it under strict supervision? If not either you are a story teller or you had some extremely irresponsible and completely stupid parents. Who the hell gives a six year old a firearm? It is one thing to take a 6 year old to the range and let them plink around with a .22 but if they actually let you just run around with it they are retarded. No 6 year old can display proper firearms safety.

Tell that to everybody in rural Nevada.

And yes, they usually are teeny tiny .22 rifles meant for small children to allow parents to teach them gun respect and safety at a young age... you know, where there is actually a need to use a rifle on a regular basis.

Didn't see a problem with the story. An incident occurred and it was resolved. Parent learns, kid learns.

It's pretty easy to blame it on "lazy parenting" and insult people when it's not your kid. Christ, the guy's kid touched something and now he's on trial for turning his kid into a deviant.

It's pretty easy to blame it on "lazy parenting" and insult people when it's not your kid. Christ, the guy's kid touched something and now he's on trial for turning his kid into a deviant.

He must have grown up in a bubble :confused:

I assume you mean they let you shoot it under strict supervision? If not either you are a story teller or you had some extremely irresponsible and completely stupid parents. Who the hell gives a six year old a firearm? It is one thing to take a 6 year old to the range and let them plink around with a .22 but if they actually let you just run around with it they are retarded. No 6 year old can display proper firearms safety.

It was a pellet gun and yea I was supervised for a while until I knew what I was doing. But, you get the point. :tank:

When you post on a public forum, it becomes the world's business. Welcome to the Internet. :tank:

Telling someone their a lazy and bad parent because the kid got into the airlock and then speculating on the rest of their parenting skills kind of crosses that.

It was a pellet gun and yea I was supervised for a while until I knew what I was doing. But, you get the point. :tank:

OK that's understandable. I thought you were referring to a firearm and even with my beliefs on gun control thats just crazy.

It does appear no one is going to come to an agreement here. Some see it as cute and safe some see it as careless and potentially dangerous. I assume it has something to do with the way people are raised.

So I had a .22 rifle when I was 7 and I could take it out any time I wanted. We lived up against National Forest and my pops a County Sherrifs Officer got me it. I did not have to ask i could get my single shot .22 and take it in the back yard and shoot. I was provided with a safe enviroment to learn and use my rifle. I was never alowed to have a BB gun or a Pellet gun becasue they can cause unsafe actions with guns. But i was un supervised when I shot a lot of the time. Shoot when i was 10 i was squirel hunting with a semi auto .22. Yes at 1 I would not alow them to drink any vodka but then I dont see the kid actually drinking it maby licking fingers but is there a concern about that NO. I say wait till you have kids before you pass judgement on and call someone a lazy parent or just plane dumb.
Hell my daughter ran out in the street today while I was putting her car seat in the truck. Am i am lazy parent NO I am very active and I try to keep my eyes on the kids all the time but one goes one way the others go the other what happens then. turn you head for 30 seconds and they are into all sorts of stuff. DO NOT pas judgement untill you have a few running around

Wow. The lazy parent comment was really out of line. That poster obviously doesn't have children. I am also surprised by the people making comments about firearms. My 19mo old manages to get into things that I thought were completely impossible. You know you're a parent when you don't hear your child screaming nearly as much as when you DON'T hear them at all.

We all need to be responsible whether it's booze, guns, driving, staring at the sun, you name it.

To the OP: raising them is a trip isn't it? It's easily the best experience on earth. It's easy to get defensive when someone criticizes your parenting, especially if you're as serious about it as I am.

We all live different lifestyles. The less we judge, the more we learn.

And your SN is RTKBA Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Shame on you sir. There are very many 6yo's that can display firearms safety. In my professional observation children are much better learners than adults. Name calling isn't cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back