Excited about this one - would love feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpiper

Reaction score
This started with Jamil's Red Rocket recipe. I modified it to bring down the ABV and adjust for available supplies. I think it will be a great balance to my Irish Red.

I threw in the Centennial's for flavor at the last minute and am excited to try dry hopping with Columbus. Any feedback? Brewing on Sunday! Fermenters have been dry since Saturday - what an empty feeling...

Style: American Amber Ale
Batch: 5.50 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.056 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 43 IBU
Recipe Color: 25° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.014
Alcohol by Volume: 5.4%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.2%

Ingredients
-----------
Black Patent (US) 0.25 lb, Grain, Steeped
Briess DME - Pilsen Light 5.50 lb, Extract, Extract
Chocolate Malt (US) 0.30 lb, Grain, Steeped
Crystal 120L 1.00 lb, Grain, Steeped
Crystal 60L 1.00 lb, Grain, Steeped
Victory Malt 1.00 lb, Grain, Steeped

Columbus 0.75 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Centennial 0.50 oz, Pellet, 20 minutes
Cascade 0.25 oz, Pellet, 10 minutes
Centennial 0.25 oz, Pellet, 10 minutes
Cascade 0.50 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes
Centennial 0.50 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes
Columbus 0.50 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes

American Ale yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast,

I like all of those hops on there own but with that combo you probabily wont notice the cascade.:mug:

That's a thought - I could double the Cascades at the end... On the other hand, Cascades are clearly represented in my PA and IPA so it might be nice to have a change.

I'm torn between tossing the last additions in at flameout and dryhopping. I'm leaning toward dry hopping. I suppose I could split the last addition and to 1/2 in at FO and the other in after primary, though I'm not sure how much difference any of that makes!

Back