Gluten Free Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5280brew

Reaction score
I brewed this up yesterday(12/12) and it's bubblin' like crazy. My ingredients were:

2LBS MALTED BUCKWHEAT
1LB QUINOA
1LB RICE FLAKES
1Lb BEET SUGAR EXTRACT
1LB RICE SYRUP
1/2 LB MALTO DEXTRIN
1LB CORN SUGAR

The last 15 mins of boil:
ORANGE ZEST AND A FEW SLICES
A FEW JUNIPER BERRIES (1/4 OZ)
1LB JUMBO FLAME RAISINS

2 OZS CITRA HOPS
WHIRLFLOC TABLET
1 OZ AMYLASE ENZYME

How was the quinoa put in? I always have some around the house but just for cooking (complete protein) let us know how it turns out

I brewed this up yesterday(12/12) and it's bubblin' like crazy. My ingredients were:

2LBS MALTED BUCKWHEAT
1LB QUINOA
1LB RICE FLAKES
1Lb BEET SUGAR EXTRACT
1LB RICE SYRUP
1/2 LB MALTO DEXTRIN
1LB CORN SUGAR

The last 15 mins of boil:
ORANGE ZEST AND A FEW SLICES
A FEW JUNIPER BERRIES (1/4 OZ)
1LB JUMBO FLAME RAISINS

2 OZS CITRA HOPS
WHIRLFLOC TABLET
1 OZ AMYLASE ENZYME

Do you put the amylase enzyme in for stach haze?

I used the Amylase to help aid in converting the starches from buckwheat, quinoa and rice into malt sugars. Highly recommended for Gluten Free Brewing as the water-grain ratio is pretty low, very low in fact using my mash tun as it became a mush tun with the rice flakes clogging it...Major pain in da ___! lessoned learned always use the socks when brewing with these ingredients.

I used the Incan Red Organic Quinoa right out of the box. I chose red to help with the color. I threw it straight into the mash tun, it has great flavor.

My whole goal is get away from the Sorghum which appears to be the easiest way to brew gluten free but has a nasty plasticy after taste that needs ot be masked some how.

I will definitely post an update after conditioning this beer.

Back