Beer-spoiling bacteria

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are sure of your sanitizing, you will be fine. I haven't had any batch infected unintentionally in over 10 years of brewing. There aren't a whole lot of bacteria strains that can actually survive in beer, so it all goes back to sanitation.

I'd be willing to bet that the amount you would pay to have your sample analyzed by this company would far exceed the cost of your batch. rdwhahb.

Something going on now with one of my beers bottled a few months back. Great beer (schwarzbier); scored very well at NHC regionals a few weeks ago. Cracked a couple this week and there is a horrible off flavour now.

*going to crack one to be sure*

Yep, it's like a terrible ethanol flavour or something. Guess the batch is ruined. Shame 'cuz it's arguaby my best brew to date. Wonder what got into it?

If you are sure of your sanitizing, you will be fine. I haven't had any batch infected unintentionally in over 10 years of brewing. There aren't a whole lot of bacteria strains that can actually survive in beer, so it all goes back to sanitation.

I'd be willing to bet that the amount you would pay to have your sample analyzed by this company would far exceed the cost of your batch. rdwhahb.

Thanks for your answer. I must admit that I am able to increase the sanitation so I will follow primarily this way.

Remember, our ancestors (especially the Germans!) made great beer without any fancy science.

It sounds like this company is for commercial breweries, not home brewers (except those who won the lotto).

Definitely not necessary for the home brewer. I imagine that this is something commercial breweries deal with, but more on the yeast culture side of things. Maybe they'd get some stuff tested if they spoil a batch, but at that point you've already spoiled it... who cares what it is. Clean and sanitise everything and be more careful next time.

Latest posts

Back