white clover honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
Anyone made a mead with white clover honey? I tried a peach mead with it.

It really seems to have a delicate flavor. So much so, that just about anything else I've recently tasted can over power it.

Did I screw it up by maybe not using enough honey or is this just the way white clover is?

Clover does have a delicate flavour. It's often chosen for just that reason. Most meads are made with 12lbs - 20lbs of honey. Odds are good if the amount of honey you used falls between those numbers it'll be fine. Experiment with different honeys, different fruits, different amounts, etc...
Read what others have done & go from there. If you haven't already done so, read this: Amazon.com: The Compleat Meadmaker : Home Production of Honey Wine From Your First Batch to Award-winning Fruit and Herb Variations: Ken Schramm: Books It will really help you to make good mead. Regards, GF.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have great records for this batch. It was a spur of the moment experiment comparing a peach wine to a peach mead.

I think I used roughly 7lbs of honey and 6lbs of peaches to 3.5 gallons of water. Definitely on the weak side of that ratio.

Maybe I'll see if I can pick up some more, make another starter and kick-off a second round of fermentation.

BTW, I've got the book. I just haven't had the chance to use it much.

Back