Fly Sparge Device

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayabusa

Reaction score
Has anyone used one of these to fly sparge with? I am probably going to go get one and try it out but was looking to see if there is a reason why not to try it before i spent the $7.... if this works I think it would be perfect for the 5/10 gallon gott type coolers....

fly.jpg

I would be afraid that the cheap plastic from china would impart off flavors in my beer when running 175F water through that.

I think this has been covered before...

Depends on the plastic... and Id think that something created for cold tap water, would perhaps not be suitable for 175F water and be food grade.

I was wondering the same thing the other day at Home Depot. My concern was that it may warp/melt due to the heat of the water coming into it. I looked at the packaging and noticed it said "For Cold Water Only", so I did not pick one up. I would be interested in knowing how your tests go.

Just going to warn you there are going to be several people probably hollar at you for this things not being food grade. Me personally I think if you want to try it I would. Thats what makes this hobby great. I would however look into what type of plastic that is and if it is rated for high temps. I would say that it wont hurt for 1-3 batches. If you had to replace it a couple times it would be worth just buying some copper and a garden hose fitting and making a long term fix.

I think this has been covered before...

Depends on the plastic... and Id think that something created for cold tap water, would perhaps not be suitable for 175F water and be food grade.

They have some made of metal... but it is zinc.

I just use Loc Line....

I have never understood sprinkling water on top of... well 1-2" of water...

The water does not directly sprinkle on the grain bed, so even delivery across the suface doesnt seem to me like it is much of an issue.

Loc Line is a coolant delivery line that you can buy at McMasterCarr.

It is sectioned, so you can bend it and manipulate it any way you like, and it will stay in that shape until you move it again.

Just look it up at McMaster Carr. I use it since my fly sparge line is also my HERMS return line.

I don't sprinkle and I get 85% eff... so my method cannot be all bad. Again, sprinkling water on water, seems, silly to me. I used to have a sparge arm... but I could not use that as my HERMS return line (clogging) so I tried the Loc Line and it has served me well.

Back