confused on pitching rates by a factor of 10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bembel

Reaction score
Can someone please help confirm or help further confuse me.

In all the posts and in the on-line yeast calculators ( mr malty / homebrewdad) on pitching it seems the general rule of thumb is a sliding .75 million to 1.25 million yeast cells per ml wort

Yet in the Wyeast chart its 7.5 to 12.5 million per ml

and in Eric Warners book its 10 to 15 million per ml for wheat beers

What am I missing???

The common rule is for ales is .75 million per ml per degree Plato. If you look at the Wyeast chart for million per ml the values come out in that range.

I don't know how to count cells.

I don't really think these calculators provide the 'perfect' pitching rate either.

Sometimes you want to stress the yeast, and pitch low. Sometimes you want to subdue the yeast flavors and pitch high. In both cases, you don't want to be extreme.

All I have gained from the calculators is that you need to pitch a healthy amount of yeast. After that, you decide if you over or under pitched and adjust accordingly for subsequent brews.

I really don't think anyone knows enough about yeast to be able to tell you that pitching XXX amount will produce the best beer from your ingredients. It is just a guideline. And I'm sure I abuse that guideline most of the time.

Anyone who uses Mr. Malty or other calculator as 'Gospel' is restricting their creativity. And ... I know Mr. Malty is wrong for some things. I can't comment on other calculators, but I suspect they are not perfect either.

Back