Off Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyHaus

Reaction score
Brewed a Partial Mash IPA consisting of mostly LME\20row\DME with a pound of Cara60. Used WLP001 and lots of hops (cascade, columbus, centennial) throughout the boil and a 10 days dry hop.

Bottle carbed and and after 2 weeks in the bottle had great carbonation and WOW it was good. After only 2 weeks bottled, the hop aroma was intense and the flavor was dead on.

Now after 3 weeks in the bottles the beer is tasting much different. The pronounced hop aroma and flavor is gone. It tastes kindof like a bitter cleaning chemical. It's not as horrid as it seems but that's the best i can do to describe the off flavor that's developed in the beer.

The beer is still drinkable but no where near as good as it was a week or 2 ago. One mistake i believe i made was stirring\whipping the beer when i added the priming sugar but not sure if that's what did it. Followed pretty strict sanitation procedures as well.

What sanitizers do you use, bottling? What storage temps? Does it taste like a Band-Aid? Was the LME super-fresh? I am not sure what effects oxidation would have, but whipping/stirring is not a good idea during bottling.

It sounds very oxidized. I'm on mobile, or I would look this up for you, but Google isomerization of iso alpha acids. Or hop oxidation. Or somethin like that. I'd be willing to bet that the whipping you did at bottling time caused a lot of oxidation, which presents quicker and more fierce in hoppy beers than others.

What sanitizers do you use, bottling? What storage temps? Does it taste like a Band-Aid? Was the LME super-fresh? I am not sure what effects oxidation would have, but whipping/stirring is not a good idea during bottling.

YES!!! BAND AID!!! Man you hit it dead one. I shouldof thought of that. So where does this bandaid flavor come from?

Also, I use Star SAn on everything for a few minutes. Storage temps are at my room temp which on average is 72 (Florida).

72 ambient probably meant middle to upper 70s inside the fermenter. Pretty warm which could leave to off flavors.

However, I have an IPA going right now that has this bandaid type flavor and mine is fermenting in the low to mid 60s. So, I wouldn't necessarily say this is the answer. I haven't bottled so oxidation shouldn't effect this either. Anyone have any other thoughts besides oxidation or ferm temps?

Chlorophenol...did you use chlorine in any of the cleaning process inside or out (bottles, utensils, etc.)?

In wine making, band aid odor means Brettanomyces...very bad for the wine maker.

Back