Sorry:poor efficiency Q(I know again)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks: Poor efficiency this wknd. I was wondering if my grain choice was bad. The grains I used were 2lbs. Vienna and 1 lb. Munich, 2lbs specialty grains as well as 3lbs of DME. I was wondering if these grains(V&M) need multiple temperature and rest. I mashed @ 154F for 1 hour.
I was down 9 SG points, should have been 1.046 but was 1.037. The grain crush looked good(even asked the LBS), used it many times before. Used 2 hydrometers that were reading the same as well as reading water at 1.000. Water amts were 1.25 qts/1 lb of grain. Something went wrong!! Thanks charlie

Wait. You simply drained the mash and used that for your wort? Did you sparge it at all? If so, how, and how much?

Munich and Vienna have enough power to convert themselves but maybe not with the addition of other specialties. Borderline maybe.

Wait. You simply drained the mash and used that for your wort? Did you sparge it at all? If so, how, and how much?

Munich and Vienna have enough power to convert themselves but maybe not with the addition of other specialties. Borderline maybe.

I sparged w/ 1.1 gallons of water 2x's(total 2.2 gallons water), @180ish F, for 10' each, temp dropped to 168F first sparge and 172 2nd sparge. The specialty grains were crystal 40L, 20L, carapils and something else I can't remember.

I know where I screwed up, at least part of the problem. I made over 5 gallons. I made about 5.5-5.8 gallons. I am using a new 6.5 gallon carboys and am estimated the "fill"line. I am use to 5 gallon carboys. So I am thinking that 12% more water and grains that can't quite push the whole batch resulted in the lower than expect SG. What an idiot:eek: So I guess the beer will be balance just a little less in body and flavor. Charlie
PS At least my hop harvest has been going well.

Back