can i get some education about how different yeasts affect brew and alcohol %

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jnco_hippie

Reaction score
OK....

I have just come to an early understanding that your choice in yeast affects alcohol %.

I had some old kits laying around that we decided to use. They were pretty old. We brewed and pitched, but two days in saw no real signs of fermentation. Since the yeast was dated, I decided that it was no good. I then added some bread yeast from our fridge. Things picked up nicely from there. We sampled the batch while bottling, and it tastes good. However, I am concerned that the bread yeast may have yielded low alcohol content.

We also decided to play around and are trying to make wine from grape juice. I dissolved some raw sugar in boil water, then added some juice. Then filled keg with grape juice and added my "wort'' to the keg, and pitched with bread yeast. It is definitely fermenting, and smells nice.

Should I be using special high alcohol yeast for wine?

What will the result of my bread yeast in my Irish stout be?

Is it OK to use bread yeast for brewing?

We have since bought new kits and new yeast to have on hand. However, can I use my wyeast and white labs for wine?

What is a good wine yeast that will yield a 13 - 14% alc wine?

Yes there are very big differences in yeast - from the taste (anything from spicy to bready), attenuation (how much of the sugars they will eat, indicated by percentage), flocculation (how much "debris" will be left behind), ideal temperatures (can very greatly), alcohol tolerance and aspects I couldn't pretend to understand.

The same recipe with different yeasts will certainly taste different. The same recipe with the same yeast but fermented at different temperatures taste different.

Different pitch rates can also affect your end product. The older the yeast, the less viable (living) yeast, and will affect your pitch rate.

I cant speak to the bread yeast, but with all the variables considered........anybodies guess?...

Bread yeast is only a good choice for bread :)

You will need alcohol tolerant yeast for wine, there are a number of wine yeast strains available and I would recommend using one in your grape juice. Try Rockpile (RP-15).

Wine "wort" is called "must"

For the stout you want an ale yeast

Packaged dry yeast will keep for 3 years or more if kept below 40F (like in your fridge).

Back