Adjusting acidity of wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
I recently started a Muscadine wine and just went to secondary with almost 8 gallons. In the beginning I adjusted the must to .52 tartaric. Is it typical to have to adjust the wine acidity again before bottleing it? As the yeast depleats the sugar, can the wine become to tart...or acidic? Also, I plan to sweeten this wine before bottling it, that will drop the acidity also right?

Vitis Rotundifolia varieties (Muscadine Grapes) are extremely acidic! It is very normal to need PH adjustment during or after fermentation of Muscadine wines. During fermentation PH levels will usually drop anyway, side effect of the yeasties working. But watch the sugar additions as they are not really changing the acid content they are just masking the acid.

I would use a PH tester, the paper strips work great. Then adjust with Calcium Carbonate. I love a Muscadine that has been aged a couple of years!

What should the PH be? I have PH paper, and an acid test kit thats it.

Latest posts

Back