A Brown Ale Gets Mold In Secondary: Plan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
All
I will try to keep this short while still providing detail.

Made a brown ale (moose drool close) on July 1. Fermentation brought it from 1.056 down to 1.018. Was steady for few days. Transferred to secondary on July 21.

Let sit until August 21 when I noticed mold - or wild yeast - it was pellicle/mold looking. Re-racked from under the mold to a tertiary.
In tertiary the airlock started up again and the mold/pelicle is back.
I am resigned to allow this to NOT be a brown ale - but I am looking for how to proceed to perhaps make it a funky soury ale.

A little worried about the vinegar flavor possibly taking over although there is none there now - nor any off smell.

While I am not an expert, I am 99% sure that this is indeed a mold or wild yeast. Leaning towards wild yeast due to the production of CO2 and airlock activity.

I am looking for what can or should I do?

- Add Malto Dextrine or Malt extract to feed?
- Add a roselare blend or something similar?
- Let it go?

PLEASE any adivse is great!!

J

It's rare that an infection tastes good, no matter how you doctor it. If it tastes ok now you are probably best off drinking it quickly before it starts to develop nasty flavors.

Back