Kölsch Bee Cave Brewery Kölsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This beer sounds delicious! I was under the impression that a Kolsch had to be lagered, but the original recipe doesn't call for any lagering period beyond the 4 day cold crash. What's everyone been doing? Could I just rack to the keg after cold crashing and lager in my keezer?

This beer sounds delicious! I was under the impression that a Kolsch had to be lagered, but the original recipe doesn't call for any lagering period beyond the 4 day cold crash. What's everyone been doing? Could I just rack to the keg after cold crashing and lager in my keezer?
I keep a Kolsch beer on tap nearly always. I would just keg it and start drinking it once it is carbonated. I will say that it is best at about a month of being on tap. 029 has lager characteristics, but is still fantastic young. My favorite Kolsch yeast is Gigayeast 021, very similar to 029.

Brewed this beer twice (third time coming soon) - first time I layered for 3 weeks, second time I layered for just 1 week. I couldn't say one was better than the other - both were delicious.It's a good beer to play around with the hops on - different varieties and the timing of each addition while still keeping the bitterness constant so it doesn't overpower the grain and yeast.

I brewed this again today, its a great beer. I've made 5-20 gallons of this beer every year for the past 9 years.

I brewed this for the first time in March and it's been lagering in the keg in my cold storage for a month. Tapped it the other day and I must say it may be one of my new favourites! First time brewing with a proper German yeast and I love it.

Back