Kegs and weed killer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The FDA has a cleaning procedure. Do you think the tanker truck that is going from Washington to New York with your kids apple juice is returning with maple sirup? Do you think for a tanker to be 'food grade' it can only haul food?

It may not come back empty, but I'd be extremely surprised if it is loaded up with pesticide and then flushed out and filled back up with apple juice. A quick google search came up with the April 2011 "Model Tanker Wash Guidelines for the Fruit Juice Industry" PDF. In section IV. Tanker Requirements, it reads in part:

a. Only food grade tankers are to be used and are to be permanently dedicated and clearly identified “food grade.”

b. Only approved food products, ingredients, or potable water shall have been hauled in the tanker. (See VIII- Tanker Wash Type Based Upon Food Commodity Previously Hauled).

(and in the referenced section VIII it specifies that items not on the table and certified food grade may not be hauled). I'm no expert, and this is just one example, but I am strongly inclined to believe that Food Grade generally means always and only Food Grade.

Regardless, I think you'd be extremely ill-advised to take the advice of a random Internet unknown on this subject. I'd get advice and procedures from a reliable source and be sure I understood the procedure well enough to know what the risks actually are.

Hit them with a caustic wash(drain cleaner) and an acid wash (star san acid #5) and you should be good to go. Most of the cleaners and washes used in production facilities are worse than most lawncare chemicals. Change your seals and poppets and get some beer in them.

I'm pretty certain that a caustic wash and acid wash are far worse for you than glyphosate(LD50 of about 5000Mg/Kg)
Give it a good hot water rinse, change the o-rings, you'll be fine.
Glyphosate is an amine salt formulation, 100% water soluble. It will just wash away.

Technical material was fed to rats and dogs at dietary levels of 200, 600, and 2000 ppm for 90 days. No significant differences from control animals were observed in mean body weight, food consumption, behavioral reactions, mortality, hematology, blood chemistry, or urinalyses. There were no relevant gross or histopathologic changes.
Two-year feeding studies to rats and dogs and rat production studies at dietary levels of 30, 100, and 300 ppm have shown no adverse effects (54).
Tests on the biologically active ingredient in this formulation (glyphosate) showed that glyphosate did not cause any mutagenic,
carcinogenic, teratogenic (birth defects), adverse reproductive changes, or neurotoxic effects (55b).

With an LD50 over 5 gm/kg. This stuff kills plants, period.

A lot of drinking water is overalls contaminated with multiple pesticides any way. Long island has tested positive for overm 90 different kinds at minimal levels. I wouldn't those kegs.

Well, the warning label does say that if ingested, drink plenty of fluids.

I'm pretty certain that a caustic wash and acid wash are far worse for you than glyphosate(LD50 of about 5000Mg/Kg)
Give it a good hot water rinse, change the o-rings, you'll be fine.
Glyphosate is an amine salt formulation, 100% water soluble. It will just wash away.

A caustic wash, followed by an acid wash, is how the food processing indsutry cleans all of their stainless steel equipment.

Hit them with a caustic wash(drain cleaner) and an acid wash (star san acid #5) and you should be good to go. Most of the cleaners and washes used in production facilities are worse than most lawncare chemicals. Change your seals and poppets and get some beer in them.

+1

No pesticide chemical thatI've ever heard of has the power to infuse into stainless steel. A good cleaning and fresh seals and I would be fine with it.

It's not like we are talking about plastic fermentation vessels :)

if you are going to use them, replace the presure relief on top too. there is a cheap rubber seal in there, and you can get new screw in relief valves for under $5

Back