Wort filter in-line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OEHokie

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for an in-line filter? My solenoid valves and pump get clogged from time to time, which I'd like to avoid. It'd be nice if it were somehow replaceable while brewing, but I'm having a hard time seeing how that would be done.

Are you trying to filter from the MLT or after the boil into the fermenter?

Either really. Normally when I transfer to the fermenter I run the wort through a mesh, but that has already passed through at least one solenoid valve and the pump. I'm trying to get stuff before those. Same would apply to the MLT.

does it need to be inline or can it be before the wort leaves the kettle?

First what are you using as a false bottom in your mt? The solution coming out should be mostly clear or your fb is not working right.

Out of the kettle try letting things settle for a little longer and use a baffle or some kind to keep the crud out.

By adding a filter you are creating a filter which is more pulley to clog than your pump or valves, plusses something which will be far harder to clean and sanitize.

does it need to be inline or can it be before the wort leaves the kettle?

I was looking for inline because there isn't a lot of room at the bottom of the kettle. There's a temp sensor immediately above the drain hole (~1 inch above) and the heating elements are also nearby.

I may just need to be more careful with the ingredients and have them all in mesh filtered bags. Probably the cheaper solution... just wasn't sure if there was a product out there I could use as a backup.

First what are you using as a false bottom in your mt? The solution coming out should be mostly clear or your fb is not working right.

Out of the kettle try letting things settle for a little longer and use a baffle or some kind to keep the crud out.

By adding a filter you are creating a filter which is more pulley to clog than your pump or valves, plusses something which will be far harder to clean and sanitize.

Sorry, didn't see yours... I actually don't have a MT. I've got a single vessel setup where I use a SS mesh basket to hold the grain (when I do partials). I will probably just be more careful by bagging more things.

Back