Brown Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hartzelly

Reaction score
I got a Brown porter fermenting right now but i was just curious for the future if anybody has some good little tips they did with theres or good recipes for one in the future. This is what i did with mine

Steeped 1Lb of English Brown, 1Lb Crystal (40L), and 8oz Chocolate until Temp hit 170F
7lbs Light malt extract Boiled for 60min
1.5oz Cascade hops Boiled for 60min for Bittering
1 Tablet of Whirlfloc clarifier at last 5 min of boil
and 1oz Cascade hops at last 2min of boil For aroma
Cooled the kettle to About 78F poured into fermenter filled the rest up until 5 gal mark got a avg temp of 69F got about a OG reading of 1.049 and pitched my yeast hopfully comes out good this is more 1st home brew ever ill let yall know how it comes out :p

Yes sir 5 gal batch i hear ales are the easiest to brew why is that? is it because of temp?

Pretty much. Only reason I find lagers to be harder is because its tougher to hit good lager temps as opposed to ale temps. But a temp controller will fix that. Also, ales are generally ready quicker.

oh ok sweet ty definitly need to get a temp controller then,a nice Refreshing lager would be nice lol

Trust me, get one. Its made things more worry free. A deep freezer is a good thing to go along with it if ya have one.

Its what I use for the fermentation chamber. Smaller and more energy efficient. If I remember tomorrow ill send ya pics of my setup. Plus its good for storing bottled beer when u arent fermenting. Just set the temp control to whatever application youre doing at the time basically.

Ok got my Brown Porter all bottled up now the wait for carbonation lol fun fun, but i got a taste of it finally and im stoked that my 1st batch i can say is excellent even without carbonation thx for all the tips from everybody.
God is good Beer is Great and people who dont drink are Crazy!!

My 1st brew was a brown porter kit from AHS and I can tell you that it turned out great for me. I tasted one bottle every week up to the 4 week mark. It just keeps getting better, as a matter fact I enjoyed a few last night.
I now have a Belgian wheat bottled and a Oatmeal Stout racked into the secondary laast night. Next up Cherry wheat, probably this Saturday.
I really hate the fact that my wife mentioned the other night that we should buy a kegerator and start kegging........uhh....I gave her a kiss and reminded her my love for her! LOL

My 1st brew was a brown porter kit from AHS and I can tell you that it turned out great for me. I tasted one bottle every week up to the 4 week mark. It just keeps getting better, as a matter fact I enjoyed a few last night.
I now have a Belgian wheat bottled and a Oatmeal Stout racked into the secondary laast night. Next up Cherry wheat, probably this Saturday.
I really hate the fact that my wife mentioned the other night that we should buy a kegerator and start kegging........uhh....I gave her a kiss and reminded her my love for her! LOL

God bless her! Just go buy one that'll fit 3 SANKE kegs (ie, 8 corny kegs) and get a tower that'll hold like 8 faucets. It'll be all over before the cryin' even starts. When she says something about it, you can look her straight in the eyes and say, "you told me to do it!"

LoL that is sweet she must be the 1 outta 1,000,000,000 but yea that sounds great i need to save up and get me a corny keg it would make everything so much easier specially for carbing yall know any good places to purchase em at for pretty good prices?

Ok so i got a quick question about my porter, its been bottled about 16 days today and it still taste really good and everything but when i poor it into a glass the head will dissapear almost like pouring a soda into a cup, could the just be maybe soap or something left on the glass or anything like that just curious becuase the head is gone in less than 10 sec's

Yes, soap can cause the head to break down quickly. How did you prepare your bottles? How about the glass you poured into?

I Sanitized the bottles normally but the glasses i just took out of the dishwasher, but i was reading up that on the drying solution there is something that sticks to the glass which could cause that should i just sanitize a glass and hand dry is would that prolly be better?

Best Porter I've had was a Northern Brewer Schwarzbier Kit that I used WLP011 European Ale Yeast instead of the lager yeast. Of the 20 kits I've done, this would be in my top 2. Delicious!!

Back