Exploding Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmay

Reaction score
Wife (is that SWOB???) has voiced another concern, has anyone ever had a korny explode on them??? It seems to me I tap into it almost each night to draw off a brew so the ones Im into are lowered. any thoughts???

Pretty unlikely. Most corny's are rated at 120 psi, you'd have to dump in a lot of priming sugar to get that kind of pressure. Also I think the yeast die out and/or go dormant after a certain pressure.

Most lids have a spring style pressure blow off. I think you are more likely to knock over your CO2 tank and have either the saftey blow on that, or damage the neck and have that blow. Heck... its probably more likely you'll get alcohol poisoning before a cornie blows up :)

Ok well I wont tell her any of that then I will have to explain only more :tank:

A cornie will not explode. You can demonstrate the relief valve's function by pulling the little ring.

FYI - ale yeasts die around 200 PSI, the relief valves are set around 135 PSI, but if they got stuck, the yeast would not be able to over-pressurize. The plastic CO2 tubing from the regulator will burst before the keg will.

Back