Any issue using larger gauge wire?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adivito

Reaction score
Quick question for the electrical experts out there. Currently I have a 50 amp and a 30 amp receptacle in my garage. I am thinking about swapping where they are located. I have 6 gauge to both receptacles so moving the 50 where I want isnt an issue. Where I want to move the 30 amp receptacle to only has a 6 gauge run. Is there any issues using a larger gauge wire? I dont believe there is, but wanted to double check. Thanks

The only issue is cost. Typically you use the smallest wire you need to save $$$.

Kal

If you can cleanly terminate the wire in the device then it sounds ok. Sometimes trying to fit a too large gauge wire into the wrong device can be difficult. Note that you will usually find a size range on the plug or receptacle.

Not that you'll be dealing with this type of power but it is none the less interesting. I did a tour one day of a satellite tracking facility when I was stationed at Eglin AFB. For the super high voltage stuff they just used copper pipe. I guess the electrical engineers figured out somehow that when you get to have very thick gauge wire the electricity only flows on the outer strands leaving the inner strands unused. So to save money/copper they did copper plumbing pipe for certain circuits.

If you can cleanly terminate the wire in the device then it sounds ok. Sometimes trying to fit a too large gauge wire into the wrong device can be difficult. Note that you will usually find a size range on the plug or receptacle.

What he said. As long as the wire will fit, you are golden.

Not that you'll be dealing with this type of power but it is none the less interesting. I did a tour one day of a satellite tracking facility when I was stationed at Eglin AFB. For the super high voltage stuff they just used copper pipe. I guess the electrical engineers figured out somehow that when you get to have very thick gauge wire the electricity only flows on the outer strands leaving the inner strands unused. So to save money/copper they did copper plumbing pipe for certain circuits.

That's called skin effect. The current does flow in the middle too, but there is definitely more on the outside.

Back