Weizenbock stuck at 1.024 help? maybe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
So, I brewed the all-grain version of C. Papazian's Phat-Fired Weizenbock. Pitched WyYeast 1010 (Amer. Wheat) on 2/22 with an OG of 1.072. Moved to secondary with a dry hop on March 15th. Today is March 23 and its testing out at 1.024.

I wanted to bottle it this week. Whats the collective recommendation? Let it sit in secondary, stir it up, bottle and forget it? I don't quite know that the maximum FG should be when bottling, so help would be good there.

Hmmm I'd rouse it and make sure you're above the mid 60's in temp. Give that another week then test it again.

Careful watching indicates that at 58-62 degrees (daily range) I'm still getting some bubbling in the airlock.

So I swirled the fermenter and poked at the dry-hop sack. I'll let it go till sunday or so and see.

Predicted FG (based on the yeast) is 1.018. How close to that do I need to be before I can safely bottle the brew?

If its still bubbling its still fermenting. Best thing to do is wait until the gravity stabilizes over the course of a few days.

Sounds like you made an "American Wheat IPA", rather than a Weizenbock. I think your attenuation problems are probably due to wort fermentability issues more than anything, in which case no amount of rousing or kraeusening will take it any lower.

Back