Mixing dry yeasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko73

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am getting ready to brew up MidWest's Winter Ale which has an OG of 1.07. I am going to be using dry yeast and I have one packet of Nottingham (11 grams.) The kit came standard with a 6 gram packet of Munton's yeast which I was going to keep aroound for emergencies.

I went to Mr. Malty and it instructs to pitch 1.3 packets of 11.5 grams dry yeast. My question is would it be terrible to mix the Nottingham and Muntons and pitch them together? I have read a lot of the forums in here and it has been said that two different yeast strains will actually work against each other, but this was mainly pointed out for liquid yeasts.

I know liquid is more specialized than dry, but I was wondering if this would also be the case for dry yeast strains. I could easily pitch two packets of Nottingham, but I would have to go get another packet and I would also worry about pitching 22 grams of yeast and overpitch. I could do 1.5 packets, but I was just wondering if using this standard 6 gram Muntons yeast packet in addition to the Nottingham is a good idea or if I just shouldn't risk it.. . .

any thoughts?

if it's a pain to get to the LHBS, i'd just pitch one packet of nottingham. even though mr. malty says 1.3, i bet one packet would take care of it. you might get a little flavor from the reproduction of the yeast, but i bet it will eat all the sugar.

Hi all,

I went to Mr. Malty and it instructs to pitch 1.3 packets of 11.5 grams dry yeast.

Seems wacky to me, Nottingham is very aggressive, and if it is a 5 gal batch you will be fine with one packet. Be sure to re-hydrate.

I don't like the Muntons. It is a brand rather than a yeast type.

I don't think I'd mix them, but I doubt it would hurt anything. Because they are similar styles they may not necessarily work against each other, but I think that one strain would tend to dominate the colony anyway so it wouldn't necessarily be beneficial to pitch that other smaller package. I've done several 1.070 beers with one package of dry yeast (both Nottingham and US-05) and they always got the job done - reydration and good aeration should help ensure that IMO.

Just my thoughts, I'm certainly not an expert so take it for what it's worth.

Thanks all! I think I am just over thinking it. Good point too Sean about Munton's being a brand rather than a strain. I didn't think of it that way. . ..

Back