Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long does a batch of EdWort's apfelwein typically take to carb in the bottle? I bottled mine about a month ago and aimed for around 2.5 vol CO2, but I'm waiting at least another 4-5 months before I even crack one open. I know ciders can take some serious time to carb in the bottle, just seeing what your experiences have been with carbonation time.

wow, so the montrachet was fine at 60? ive had a few batches going with heating pads recently here in maine because i didnt think that was warm enough.

Hi all - recently made my first batches of this. Based on the massive comment chains, this looks extremely promising...

Got a few questions which I can't seem to find great answers to in ALL the comments, so forgive me :)

I wanted to explore different variations on this, so I made 4 batches, each with 5 gallons Treetop juice + 2 lbs dextrose. Two batches received a pitch of Montrachet, the other two received Cote des Blancs, to look at the impact on final product.

Stupidly, I forgot to collect OG readings, but the consensus appears to be somewhere in the ballpark of 1.075. I'll just have to take readings for the next batch :)

Due to the time of year (started this in mid-October), ambient temperatures inside have been ~55-60 F, which made me somewhat concerned for its impact on fermenting. However, bubbles kicked off within 24 hours for each carboy, so I was happy. The Montrachet batches were more vigorous than the Cote des Blancs ones, but neither had any issues with blowoff. My bubbling looked nearly identical to those seen in the video in EdWort's original post, nothing like the Krausen seen in some other photos here (even the ones who still used wine yeasts).

Fast-forward 9 weeks, and all batches are crystal clear, with no sign of any bubbles in the Cote bathes in almost 2 weeks. I decide to keg up one batch of the Cote, to collect FG readings, as well as let it age for longer. FG was 1.020, a good bit above the 0.995 - 1.000 I was expecting... I realize 2 months in primary is young, I just wanted to see what it looked like at this point, and make some holiday Grog :) The others will be remaining in primary for at least another 2 months longer. The Montrachet batches have calmed down significantly, but still have a few *VERY* tiny bubbles rising up, which I'm assuming is a little bit of natural malolactic fermentation. The Montrachet batches also had a very noticeably larger amount of lees than the Cote batches.

Question time:

• I don't think the one Cote batch fermented fully, though it tasted fairly dry. Was this most likely due to fermenting too cold? It's now in a keg at ambient temp and off the lees, so restarting fermentation would be tricky...
  • If this was too cold, I'll be starting another batch once temperature warm up a bit in early spring, and let them ferment over the spring / summer. Other than the yeast's upper temperature limit, what's a good upper bound to stay under in terms of room temperature for this? I normally use temperature control for beer, but due to the large scale of this experiment, it wasn't an option here.
  • I don't do much bottling, I'm mostly a keg kind of guy. Since this needs to age after primary for some time, what would the best way to do this be? Age in kegs at low PSI for several months? Rack to another carboy for secondary?
  • People clearly have no issues with letting this sit on the lees in primary for an extended period of time, even though my beer senses are getting anxious :) Is ~ 4 months okay to transfer out of primary, without worrying about autolysis from the lees?
  • For each yeast strain, I had wanted to pitch a secondary fermentation of a well-cultured malolactic bacteria, to really hit the malolactic fermentation HARD, to convert the green apple new-wine flavors to a stronger buttery apple-pie vibe. By doing a batch of each yeast with and without pitching a malolactic bacteria, I'm looking forward to seeing the difference! Any recommendations for a culture? I would assume that pitching into a secondary carboy after 3-4 months of primary would be a good time.

From my taste so far, while a little green, I can see why it's so popular :) Looking forward to seeing how this smooths out in several months.

Thanks for all the help!

I'm halfway through a 3 gallon fermentation. After having success with a BOMM mead, I'm trying a similar approach with the apfelwein. In addition to using Wyeast 1388 instead of Montrachet, I added 3 can of concentrate along with a pound of sugar. The sg reading when I pitched the yeast was 1.070, which should give me something close to 9.1 abv. I've got a couple other tweaks I'm going to try, but that gives you a good idea of what I'm up to.

How long does a batch of EdWort's apfelwein typically take to carb in the bottle?
I've never timed it, but I don't recall it taking a particularly long time if you've given it the right amount of priming sugar. Montrachet is a strong yeast that's not going to stall out at apfelwein alcohol levels. I'd expect a month to be plenty of time. Of course, ageing longer isn't going to do the drink any harm...

Has anyone tried dry hopping this Apfelwein? A local cidery here in town has a Hopped Cider that is quite excellent! Of course you would only do a minute amount of hops since this is a cider/apple wine.

What do y'all think? Too many pages to look through for answers..

hops in apfelwein!!!! ..... that's so american :)

Has anyone tried dry hopping this Apfelwein? A local cidery here in town has a Hopped Cider that is quite excellent! Of course you would only do a minute amount of hops since this is a cider/apple wine.

What do y'all think? Too many pages to look through for answers..

My first Edwort's took 7 weeks to clear and 2 weeks of sipping before I aquired the taste for it. Admittedly, I hated it at week 7 and vowed never to make it again. At week 8, I said to myself, I hated this less. At week 9 ,I'm thinking, I might do this again.

My first Edwort's took 7 weeks to clear and 2 weeks of sipping before I aquired the taste for it. Admittedly, I hated it at week 7 and vowed never to make it again. At week 8, I said to myself, I hated this less. At week 9 ,I'm thinking, I might do this again.

I made some in Feb 2016 and finally opened a bottle around Christmas, a week ago. I didn't really care for it, unfortunately. Kinda disappointed, really. Maybe age doesnt matter all that much.

I'm going to make my first Apfelwein in my Fastferment. In regards to the apple juice, I cannot get Tree Top apple juice here in Toronto. Does anyone have a viable brand alternative that's not too pricey for 5 gallons? I went to my local walmart and the options I saw aren't too inviting, with all kinds of additives. Is pasterurized apple juice with vitamin C (absorbic acid) added okay for this? Does Costco have anything better? Many thanks!

Walmart's Great Value brand has nothing other than ascorbic acid, is dirt cheap and works a treat.

Made mine a month ago, and it still needs to clear up. Will wait another month before I check on it again.

As far as aging for ciders/Apfelweins go. My first cider was drinkable at 1 month bottling, but much better after 4 months.

Walmart's Great Value brand has nothing other than ascorbic acid, is dirt cheap and works a treat.

That's also what I've used made some good stuff. Just started another batch. I've got 2 oz of simcoe and about half an oz of cluster I could potentially use. Idk about the cluster but I was planning on using the 2 oz of simcoe after the 4 week fermentation. It's quite a lot for cider but I love ipas and simcoe is just sooo delicious. If it doesn't work out I'll probably just stick with brewing beer from now on

Nothing wrong with "from concentrate"

I sometimes add frozen AJ concentrate to bump up the ABV without adding more sugar

Nothing wrong with "from concentrate"

I sometimes add frozen AJ concentrate to bump up the ABV without adding more sugar

Good to know. But is it okay to make it entirely out of concentrated juice or are there any sacrifices in terms of the end result?

Concentrate is fine but use high quality water to reconstitute it. Most grocery store bottled juice is pasturized and quite a bit of that it reconsitiuted at a factory, with treated water. A good approach is to treat for chlorine and boil and cool the water before adding the concentrate.

Isn't that apple juice from concentrate? It is according to this link: http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/great-value-apple-juice/6000001842760
Is concentrate okay or does it impact the end product significantly?

So at a $1L it will be $23CAD. You're right, that is quite cheap, but I'm still concerned that it's from concentrate.

Concentrate is fine but use high quality water to reconstitute it. Most grocery store bottled juice is pasturized and quite a bit of that it reconsitiuted at a factory, with treated water. A good approach is to treat for chlorine and boil and cool the water before adding the concentrate.

Reconstitute? At what ratio of juice to water? I thought I'd dump 23L of GV apple juice concentrate as suggested, with corn sugar and yeast as per recipe and I'm good to go.

your package says it's apple juice from concentrate..... basically, the factory reconsituted for you...good to go

Reconstitute? At what ratio of juice to water? I thought I'd dump 23L of GV apple juice concentrate as suggested, with corn sugar and yeast as per recipe and I'm good to go.

I made my first batch today. I was shooting for 6 gallons, but the crotchety lady on the scooter behind me looked like she would run me over to get to her prune juice, thereby causing me to be short one bottle. Oh well, 2.5 lbs of corn sugar and 4.5 gallons of apple juice should result in +/- 9%abv. If she decides to run me over next time, I won't know it....;):sly::beer:

View attachment 1483746428457.jpg

View attachment 1483746470160.jpg

View attachment 1483746492268.jpg

View attachment 1483746523870.jpg

how long does the montrachet need after bottling to eat up the priming sugar? my wife hates when i leave beer **** in the house, i need to move it to my cold basement but i want to make sure the yeast carbs the bottle first.

thippe mine took about a month before I started getting a decent hiss upon opening. I don't think it's reached it's full carbonation yet though. I've been opening one a month just to check, but I'm saving all of mine for at least another few months in the bottle to condition before I really start to indulge.

Went shopping today and grabbed stuff to make my bastardized version of this.
4 Gallons Motts Organic Apple Juice
2 Cans Aldi's FAJC
Brown Sugar and or Clover Honey to hit SG of 1.10-1.11 so after back sweetening I can still be in the neighborhood of 10%

Made a batch yesterday. More krausen than I expected.

20170122_143502.jpg

New to brewing. Have read the vast majority of the threads. I think I know the answers just want to be sure.
I have a 6gal carboy for fermenting or 5 gal buckets. Carboy should be fine. By the time I get to secondary I will have a 5 gallon hopefully.

I have 5 gal of walmarts finest, the corn sugar, now just waiting for the yeast. We have no good local shops.

Thinking 2-3 months to bottle then let rest. Shooting for an end product about the 4th of July with another exact batch following closely.

Can anyone say how this compares to the real Apfelwein from Munich? I loved it over there and finished my last bottle last Christmas. Found this thread looking for a place to purchase.

Thanks.

Well.. mine was sans egg fart.. But I did a 1 gal batch just to see what all the hubbub is about. Two weeks primary and two weeks secondary, forced carbed in a mini keg, and tasted this morning (I work night shift ok, don't blame me for trying this at 6 in the morning). And it's good!!

I like this much better than the ciders I have been making. Definitely dry with a little bit of apple tart flavor. I used treetop fresh pressed 3 apple blend and it's tasty for being store bought juice. I usually don't use secondary but some of my ciders have a strong yeast taste so I decided to try it on this one.

I've got two more gallons going already. Took the advice of make some more shortly after :)

Made 5 gallons. So far I have received an "It's amazing!" to a "The wife loves it!"

Soon as I can get a deal on 5 gallons of apple juice I am putting another 5 gallon batch together.

I decided to do some yeast testing with my third round of making apfelwein
I did 5g with mangrove Jack's cider yeast, 5g with champagne yeast and I then I said what the heck and did 1g with old Belle saison yeast I got for free.
After 40 days the saison has dropped impeccably clear and my question is why?
A few thoughts
1) even though the saison yeast was old, perhaps it was a higher pitch rate still for the 1g batch
2) the 5g carboys have a larger diameter and may not "look" as clear
3) is there something about a smaller volume that just clears much quicker than larger volumes?
Also for reference is a fresh glass from the most recent keg, mmmmm :)

View attachment 1485460914761.jpg

Latest posts

Back