Lol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Every time I see an insincere LOL I want to plant a claymore and perforate the poster. Did you really laugh out loud? Really?

I'm really unhappy by the insincerity of the internet these days. Either state your feelings or move on. LOL? Really? ROTFL?

BTW, cell dweebs, we nerds used these shortcuts on bulletin boards before cellphones were a wet dream. Before the WWW was a wet dream. Anyone remember dial-up 1200/4800/9600?

Hayes? Ha!

I suppose LOL is better than LOTIATITWFBSTWITRIDNAGOL (laughing on the inside at something I thought was funny but since they weren't in the room I did not actually guffaw out loud).

Any yes, I remember Telex and the melodious sound of dial-up and having to wait your turn to get onto a bbs.

I used to go to my buddy's house to download new apple games on his 300 baud modem. It would take 2 hours to gt a game.

I remember those days... I think our first modem was 300 baud... Back when you had two colors on the screen and one of them was dark. :D

I remember when cell phones were more car phones because the damned things were too big to carry around. Or you used an entire briefcase to carry it around.

Hear the squelch and grind of the modem? The sound was cool, the speeds were pathetic (by today's standards).

Man, some of us sound like such old farts... :eek:

I remember it was like 20-30 mins just for one color photo.

I remember when the best printer you could get was dot matrix. Photographs were film only, requiring lab work. Color monitors were a pipe dream still (for computers). The biggest TV you could get was 19" across and that was considered a BIG TV. :eek:

I remember when the best printer you could get was dot matrix. Photographs were film only, requiring lab work. Color monitors were a pipe dream still (for computers). The biggest TV you could get was 19" across and that was considered a BIG TV. :eek:

I remember 9-pin vs. 24-pin dot matrix.

I wrote an awesome 1st person game on a DEC mainframe back then. Wish I still had the code. Lots of goto's, LOL :)

9600 was but a dream for me when I started with bulletain boards and LISTSERVS, as an early teenager I could not afford a V.90, but was very happy the day I added an off brand 56K to my old 4086, (which I was VERY proud of at the time with it's 8 mbs of video memory and 32 mb RAM).

LOL, definately way over used. I try not to get too bent out of shape about stuff like that but deep down it bugs me. It bugs me because I feel like, "hey I knew what that meant first", and the other people at that time who knew, I shared an odd bond with. These are the same people that knew how to use html tags in chat to change colors or fonts before java ruled, the same people that know DOS commands and remember how exciting it was to finally beat Myst, and then rush out to buy a copy of Riven. Back then I was ashamed to be a computer nerd, outside of playing sports in school I didn't have a lot of freinds. Now it's something I'm proud of.

Anyone remember modems with acoustic couplers? The handset snapped into the modem.

Had a Tandy TRS80 With a cassette tape storage system. Probably maxed out at about 1k RAM. I'm too old to remember exactly.

I hate LOL with a passion I can't convey.

I'm trying to wean off of the LOL for the haha, *snicker*, and *chuckle*. A lot of people do it compulsively and it is irritating. BTW I was chatting and meeting people on a BBS called Redwood Freenet that was hosted by our local library on a Mac Plus and a 14.4kbs modem in 1992, so I have the right pedigree, but I didn't see ANYONE using these types of acronyms. And the games that were available were running on ANSI! So cool at the time!

Anyone remember modems with acoustic couplers? The handset snapped into the modem.

Had a Tandy TRS80 With a cassette tape storage system. Probably maxed out at about 1k RAM. I'm too old to remember exactly.

Think we had both of those on our Toshiba T100 system... :D

My first computer was a Tandy, probably about that same model. Had no CD-ROM or speakers obviously. I cannot remember the model though.

I remember when 28,8 was the schit. We didn't get a computer until I was in high school so I missed out on the dark ages and came in during the industrial revolution. Luckily we're hoarders, so I used all those old parts to make stir plates :D

I think i still have the old Commodore 64 AND 128 in the attic somewhere.

9600 was but a dream for me when I started with bulletain boards and LISTSERVS, as an early teenager I could not afford a V.90, but was very happy the day I added an off brand 56K to my old 4086, (which I was VERY proud of at the time with it's 8 mbs of video memory and 32 mb RAM).

LOL, definately way over used. I try not to get too bent out of shape about stuff like that but deep down it bugs me. It bugs me because I feel like, "hey I knew what that meant first", and the other people at that time who knew, I shared an odd bond with. These are the same people that knew how to use html tags in chat to change colors or fonts before java ruled, the same people that know DOS commands and remember how exciting it was to finally beat Myst, and then rush out to buy a copy of Riven. Back then I was ashamed to be a computer nerd, outside of playing sports in school I didn't have a lot of freinds. Now it's something I'm proud of.

I'm with you. In every way. Except I didn't play sports in school. I read Byte and wondered what it all meant because I was too poor to buy a pack of single sided floppies. But I knew, deep down, nerd was the way.

My first love ran on CP/M. The Osborne. Go LOL yourselves insincere LOLers. You have no idea how deep the rabbit hole goes.

I'm with you. In every way. Except I didn't play sports in school. I read Byte and wondered what it all meant because I was too poor to buy a pack of single sided floppies. But I knew, deep down, nerd was the way.

My first love ran on CP/M. The Osborne. Go LOL yourselves insincere LOLers. You have no idea how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Wow. I haven't heard anyone mention CP/M since the 80's. The c: and a: Drives were switched if I recall correctly.

Anyone old enough for 8 inch floppies?

Hell, that seems like just yesterday. Anyone remember decks of punched cards? Punched paper tape? My first encounter with a computer was programming in Fortran II on an IBM 1620 in 1965. Magnetic core memory - all 20K characters of it. Arithmetic operations by table lookup from core memory - talk about sloooooow! But somehow it was a lot more fun in those days.

Yeah, but our system used the 5-1/4" floppy floppies. :D Remember punching a hole on the edge so that you could make it double sided? :D

And you put a piece of electrical tape on the edge to make it read-only.

I still have an old IBM AT 1.2 MB drive sitting in a drawer. In my mind i'm waiting for the day the President Of the USA has an old floppy he needs to read to save the world. I'll be ready! ;)

Hell, that seems like just yesterday. Anyone remember decks of punched cards? Punched paper tape? My first encounter with a computer was programming in Fortran II on an IBM 1620 in 1965. Magnetic core memory - all 20K characters of it. Arithmetic operations by table lookup from core memory - talk about sloooooow! But somehow it was a lot more fun in those days.

Holy crap. You are old! ;)

I do remember paper tape. The tape reader would shred 20 hours of work in about 3 seconds when it jammed.

I agree. It was more fun back then. Programmers were like Gods because no one else had a clue. It was great.

I punched cards. Hand numbered in case you dropped them.

And yes, I went through the variations of Fortran, which still haunts me today. Fortran IV though, you dinosaur

We called them Hollerith cards

I had this beast in the fifth grade if I remember correctly. I didn't have all the accessories though. I learned to program some really simple animated graphics in basic but then got into other things, mainly music. The memory 'cards' were huge and the whole memory compartment is a tank.

I had this beast in the fifth grade if I remember correctly. I didn't have all the accessories though. I learned to program some really simple animated graphics in basic but then got into other things, mainly music. The memory 'cards' were huge and the whole memory compartment is a tank.

Whatever happened to TI? They ruled the early 80s. They owned the calculator market and that TI99 was the first computer I remember being sold at retail stores.

C64_startup_animiert.gif

Whatever happened to TI? They ruled the early 80s. They owned the calculator market and that TI99 was the first computer I remember being sold at retail stores.

I bought a Commodore VIC20 at the time the TI thingy was popular. It was a toss-up at the time.

Imagine how one did research at the time, without the internet. Can anyone here imagine? Really?

But don't cry for TI. Take my word for it (as an electronics guy), they doing fine. Commodore? Not so much.

^^^Yeah, Commodore out competed TI in the home computer market but TI is still going strong in the electronics market. Related to my own experience, I recently had a good mic preamp that had TI chips in it. They have a good rep from what I understand.

Back