First wort goes down the drain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmcjudo

Reaction score
I met my temps close to where I needed them, my mash tun did not get stuck, drained into my kettle. All ready for the boil, had hops ready, and my fryer would not light. And here's the kicker, I tested it before I started my brew and it worked fine. I have a Saf-T turkey fryer with an electric ignition. Whenever I would light the burner, the electric ignition would shut the gas off and make a high pitched beeping noise. The booklet with the fryer only mentions this once and says to wait 5 minutes and attempt to light it again. After over an hour of messing with it, my wort just sitting in the kettle, I made the decision to give up. I could have put my kettle on the stove but my stove sucks. It would have taken forever just to get it to the boil and I had homework to do. This really sucks. I have lost motivation to brew.....

I'm a little new to this, but I feel like you could have let it sit in the kettle, covered, until you were ready to try again (or got a new burner). A few days or something.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Home Brew Talk

Does that style of burner prevent you from using a manual light to ignite the flame?

Does that style of burner prevent you from using a manual light to ignite the flame?

No. It offers a manual option and that is the option I was using. The auto option is supposed to light itself but it was not working. I had the burner up and running after I mashed in. I turned it off including the gas and went to go use it an hour later and it would not work. The electric system would kill the gas flow about 10 seconds after I had it lit.

I'd rip that electrical crap outta there pronto! And get yourself a decent manual turn regulator.

I'd rip that electrical crap outta there pronto! And get yourself a decent manual turn regulator.

Tried it. It doesn't work without the electirc system connected. The regulator is manual. The only reason the electric system is on there is because it offers an auto option for cooking a turkey. It keeps the temp at a steady 300 and whatever degrees.

Latest posts

Back