Alka-Seltzer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletch78

Reaction score
The ingredients that create the CO2 are citric acid and sodium bicarbonate. When mixed in water, they create the gas. For the purpose of bottle carbing, theoretically, could one simply pop a pill of citric acid and sodium bicarbonate into a bottle, cap immediately, and have a carbonated beer? This would be useful for people trying to make carbonated sweet beverages like ciders and sparkling wines and meads.

Pop Rocks!

Or dry ice or vinegar & baking soda....

I'm surprised, we've had threads about those two but I think this is the first of alka seltser and or poprocks. ;)

I guess if you liked salty beer it might work. If anyone has actually taken alka seltzer they would know just how goddam salty it is. I guess if you were making a miller chill clone it might be good...especially if you got the flavored alkaseltzer plus cold medicine version. But a shot of alkaseltzer taste like how you used to gargle with salt water to flush a blood clot out after you went to the dentist...not particualarly a flavor I would like in my carbed bee.

I was in a cooking supply shop yesterday and came upon the SodaStream Home Soda maker/dispenser and wondered if that would work.

sodastreampurewhite.gif

Making carbonated water and soft drinks is simple! Turn tap water into sparkling water in under 30 seconds, with no clean-up. Enjoy the freshness and convenience of homemade soda and protect the environment at the same time. No heavy bottles to carry, store at home or throw away. Fizz to your taste and add the flavor of your choice to make your favorite drink. Simple to clean and reuse. With a variety of colors and silhouettes, you'll be sure to find a soda maker to match with any decor.

SodaStream Home Soda Maker Pure Starter Kit

A Touch of Stainless Steel Highlights Pure's Modern Lines

Pure is a proven winner
Pure was presented with a red dot design award honorable mention in 2008, bring a level of sophistication to any kitchen. With its trim lines and stainless steel accents, Pure turns tap water into sparkling water and soda in just second, with no clean-up. Available in white or black - both with stainless steel accents - the Pure comes with two reusable BPA-free carbonating bottles and one CO2 carbonator that makes 50-60 liters of sparkling water or soda.

This package includes everything you need to make fresh sparkling water in your own home.

This package includes:
» Pure Home Soda Maker
» 1 60 liter Carbonator
» 2 Carbonating Bottles
» Two Year Limited Warranty

REGULAR PRICE: $179.99
SALE PRICE: $149.99

Though it sounds like you'd use a ton of refillable co2 bottles or whatever they use to carb up. Plus it would take hours to carb up 48-62 individual bottles. It's better to just fill them and let nature take it's course, or ked...

I thought the nasty flavor was from the medicine. Alka-Seltzer makes a product "Alka-Seltzer Gold" that is just the fizz-maker, no medicine.

Another question would be how much to add... you wouldn't want your bottles to explode either. You've all heard the urban myth about alka-seltzer making pigeons explode.

Another question would be how much to add... you wouldn't want your bottles to explode either. You've all heard the urban myth about alka-seltzer making pigeons explode.

Thats pretty easy to figure out. Just find a chart comparing volumes of c02 to grams per liter, use wikipedia to find the reaction and the molecular weights of the inputs and outputs and then some arithmetic.

I would suggest you taste this plain alka seltzer (or alternately, club soda which contains sodium citrate) before you proceed though. It's not a great idea.

Pop rocks sounds better to me. I may start adding those to berliner weisse at serving time.

Back