secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
Since I racked to my 3-gallon carboy the other day and topped off with additional fresh cider, I haven't seen any signs of fermentation. I expected, especially with the sugars from the additional cider, to see at least some bubbling. Should I? I'm concerned with the yeast being able to carbonate when I bottle. If they don't ferment the additional cider, how will they ferment when I bottle?

Why didn't you just add the AJ when you made it?

How long was it in the primary?

he means he topped up the carboy to fill headspace due to racking losses.

@jLem

it may take several days to see activity after racking with a top up of fresh juice (and even then depending on how much you needed to top up, it may be VERY subtle.) it took 3 days to see a little bit of fizz action in my Apfelwien when I topped it off to close headspace aat the close of vigorous fermentation -it was only a quart and a half addition. trust me... your yeast is alive and well in there.

he means he topped up the carboy to fill headspace due to racking losses.

exactly.

it may take several days to see activity after racking with a top up of fresh juice (and even then depending on how much you needed to top up, it may be VERY subtle.) it took 3 days to see a little bit of fizz action in my Apfelwien when I topped it off to close headspace aat the close of vigorous fermentation -it was only a quart and a half addition. trust me... your yeast is alive and well in there.

Good to know. I'll keep an eye on it. I only added a quart or two. I know I should stop worrying, but it's hard when doing something for the first time and not seeing exactly what you expected.

Don't keep an eye on it. Put it away and forget it for 4 months. Then take a reading. It will be done, clear and ready to bottle at that point.

Don't keep an eye on it. Put it away and forget it for 4 months. Then take a reading. It will be done, clear and ready to bottle at that point.

I look at mine daily - just cause it is fun... and somtime you can get lucky and save an infected batch with quick action - so I always peek at it before I go to work, and then when I get home.
but I don't mess with it when I do.

you have to remember that yeast have been doing their thing for eons without our help, so watch and enjoy...but please don't disturb the sugar assasins

THis morning when I woke up there was a thin line of bubbles on top of the cider. This evening there's a 1/4 inch of bubbles. I feel better now.

:rockin:

Back