Ideas for second Gluten Free brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurpinator

Reaction score
I bottled my first GF batch which was the Simple Simon sorghum beer from byo. I want to brew again some time this weekend, but I am not sure what I should put in this one. Any help/ideas are appreciated.

If you like hoppy beers, why not use the same recipe with a more aggressive hopping? The sorghum beers I've had have been overly sweet and not very hoppy. I suspect the sweetness is just inherent in using sorghum, but more bittering could balance that.

I found this on the Briess website, but would it make a difference if I used pellet or whole hops on this recipe? Also I'm not really familiar with dry hopping. Thanks

Hoppy to be Gluten Free Ale

Ingredients
7.5 lbs BriesSweet™ White Sorghum Syrup 45 DE High Maltose
1 oz Cascade Hops (6.5% AA) (Beginning of boil)
0.5 oz Cascade Hops (6.5% AA) (5 minutes before end of boil)
1 oz Cascade Hops (6.5% AA) ( End of boil)

1 oz Cascade Hops (6.5% AA) ( Dry hop)
2 pkgs Nottingham Dry Ale Yeast or Wyeast 1272GF Yeast
1 cup Honey (Bottling)
Brewing Procedures
Mix BriesSweet™ White Sorghum Syrup and water and bring to a boil.
Add bittering hops and boil for 40 minutes.
Add remaining hops according to schedule.
Quickly chill wort and pitch yeast.

Fermentation

Primary: 1.5 weeks at 65-70° F
Add dry hops after primary fermentation.
Bottle condition with honey.

Notes
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.016
Alcohol by vol: 5.2%
IBU: 37

Personally, I'd try steeping some grains to balance the raspberry sweet sorghum flavor. Buckwheat, corn malt and wild rice spring to mind. Also throw in some maltodextrin for body and head retention. Priming with honey seems like a bad idea, it's hard to get an exact figure on how much carbonation one cup will provide. Stick with 5oz dextrose per 5 gallon batch.

I've been getting interested in GF brewing, my mom is celiac so I was gonna make a beer for her :)

Oh and definitely try out EdWort's apfelwein. No gluten, and there's a reason it's so popular (and it's not just because it's 8.5%abv)

Personally, I'd try steeping some grains to balance the raspberry sweet sorghum flavor. Buckwheat, corn malt and wild rice spring to mind. Also throw in some maltodextrin for body and head retention. Priming with honey seems like a bad idea, it's hard to get an exact figure on how much carbonation one cup will provide. Stick with 5oz dextrose per 5 gallon batch.

I've been getting interested in GF brewing, my mom is celiac so I was gonna make a beer for her :)

Oh and definitely try out EdWort's apfelwein. No gluten, and there's a reason it's so popular (and it's not just because it's 8.5%abv)

So you mean just some unmalted buckwheat, toasted? I was also thinking of adding some brown sugar, or dark candy sugar, or maybe molasses as well. I'm a noob, so I don't quite understand how to use grains yet. Would it be pretty much all the fermentable sugars coming from the sorghum and brown sugar/molasses/candy sugar, and the buckwheat/amaranth just there to add some toasted grain flavors? Thanks

Back