Help me get my buzz on.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrewBro

Reaction score
Hi guys! New to the forum, love the place! You all seem to be very knowledgeable, and I hope to learn a bunch!

So, I just got off a killer trip from South Carolina at huge model airplane event that took place in Woodruff. The folks down there are sooo darn nice, I don't even know where to start. Well, as the sun went down, and the party started, some good 'ole boys busted out some stuff they called "hot apple pie". It was basically moonshine that was 170 proof that tasted like Motts Apple juice. Needless to say, I went from zero to full train wreck in 15 minutes after chuggin' a quart of this crap, and decided I would like to brew some of my own.

The rednecks said that it's pretty simple to make. Something about a 72 chevy radiator, a bushell of apples, and a 5 pound loaf of sugar.

I was hoping you all could help me whoop up a batch of this stuff. Please give me some pointers as to where to go next.

Thanks and best, and greetz from the Mojave Desert --

BrewBro

this isnt really a moonshine forum, try http://homedistiller.org/
and if you decide to try that never never ever use a car radiator as a condenser for a still they contain lead which is very bad!

this isnt really a moonshine forum, try http://homedistiller.org/
and if you decide to try that never never ever use a car radiator as a condenser for a still they contain lead which is very bad!

Come on man, everything gives you cancer in California. I ain't worried about that. I was seriously hoping to get some advice from you guys, I've checked out the forum mentioned above and those guys are mjor trailer trashish. I'm actually brewing with some buddies right now, and we're trying to figure this one out.

Thanks!

Come on man, everything gives you cancer in California. I ain't worried about that. I was seriously hoping to get some advice from you guys, I've checked out the forum mentioned above and those guys are mjor trailer trashish. I'm actually brewing with some buddies right now, and we're trying to figure this one out.

Thanks!

Yeah, ingesting lead is no big deal. :eek:

I made some 'shine a long time ago. I'm pretty sure the statute of limitations has run out. It was 30+ years ago.
Anything of that proof is distilled. It does take a wort to make distilled spirits. The obvious part is the yeast makes wort sugars into alcohol. The less apparent part is you have to distill those alcohols out after the fermenting process.
There are some very definite hazards involved, so you might want to study up. It might be much simpler to just buy some Everclear and put it in some apple cider to taste.
And yeah, if you drank a quart of anything 170 proof, you're lucky you're not dead. 170 proof might have been some likker talkin'
When we got over 150 proof, we thought we were don't good. And at that point there was very little taste left, just alcohol burn. An ounce in a tall glass with mixer would make you pretty dizzy.

actually the lead poisoning was a different problem, the blindness was from methanol which only gets into the distillate if you add it on purpose or try to drink ethanol bought from a hardware store that has been denatured with methanol. also added to give it a "kick" during prohibition were turpentine, battery acid, and lye. if you use a proper still and ferment non poisonous things all the distillate you produce will be safe aside form the risk of alcohol poisoning which can occur from store bought stuff too.
but I agree beer does tend to taste better.

Why not make some Apfelwine and then blend with everclear. It would probably be about the same thing. I would think that they add the apple taste after the fact. I know people that use shine with a bunch of fruit and it is pretty good.

No hooch threads.

Sorry, BrewBro, but we don't talk 'shine here. Distilling for personal use is illegal in the US and most other countries. Please stick around and try out some apfelwein or give beer brewing a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back