Temp. Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aardvark

Reaction score
mmmm...beer....

So, last night I brewed up a stout and as I was chilling the wort I noticed the electric thermometer that I was using seemed off. I tested it out in some cold water and sure enough, it wasn't reading accurately. It was late and I don't have another thermometer, so had to go by feel. I pitched the yeast (Nottingham Dry) when the wort felt cool enough and promptly remember I had one of those little fermometer strips on the carboy. I checked the temp and was a little worried as it was over the 78 degrees that the fermometer tops out at.

I went to bed worried that I had killed off my yeast. I checked the temp in the morning (about 7 hours later) and it was at 77 degrees and looked like fermentation was starting. It is now 9 hours later (16 from the time I pitched the yeast) and the temp is 68 degrees and actively fermenting.

The good news is that I can be pretty sure that I didn't kill the yeast. The concern I have is that I know fermentation at higher temperatures can produce Esters and Fusel Oils and off-flavors. Could the high temps for 13-14 hours be enough to cause off-flavors?

:mug: I wouldn't worry about it, Makes your yeast work faster and harder. Stouts seem to hide a lot of little errors. It's good to start a little warmer any hoots.:mug:

Alot of yeasts recommend keeping the temp above 70 until active fermentation starts. I think, as long as you got the temp down before the active fermentation, you should be fine.
Oh yeah, RDWHAHB!!:D

Everything I've read is it's the sudden change in temperature that causes the problems. I happen to have a packet of dry Nottingham right here and it says to hydrate the yeast in water at 86 to 92 degree for 15 minutes and then add some wort to it every five minutes until the temperature is equalized. So, it really depends on the temperature of the suspension compared to the wort when you put it in.

Well, it has been a week and the fermentation is slowing way down. I'll take a gravity reading in the next day or two and if it is ready I'll rack it, but everything seems to be fine so far.

That isnt bad... the temp was not high long enough and like they said, stouts hide ALOT... almost anything! I had a Blonde that I brewed 7 days ago and it started the ferment at 72F, ended at 68F and fermented out in 2.5 days! I used the Nottingham (which is what I use in stouts too). I perfer to ferment Notty down at about 65 or lower since it has the tolerance and ferments so clean.... BUT the sample tasted excellent!

my first batch of beer ever an APA i think i pitched the yeast around 88F and it was one the best batches ive ever brewed. aside from temperature shock like if the yeast was just in the fridge i dont think any harm will come to the yeast and as other mentioned fermentation temp seems to be more important than pitching temp.

I checked the gravity and it was 1.015, which is pretty much right where it should be, so I racked it. It looks and tastes great...wooohoo!

I'll probably bottle in a week or so.

Back