Hop Ring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GearBeer

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch today, an Altbier extract brew.

During the boil some of the hops tended to form a ring around the brewpot. I extended the bitter hop brewtime to compensate (I opened the top and stirred them back in every 5 mins or so) but I'm not sure that this is the right strategy. Is this normal? Did I have the heat to high? I wasn't orignally planning to use a top but the 26 quart brewpot I got from a local restaraunt supply store is very wide and my stove doesn't have enough output to keep it boiling without a top on. I had to use a sheet of galvanized steel from the basement! Washed and sanitized it, though.

Thanks,

First, yes, the ring is normal. I just splash wort on to it and wash it back into the wort.

Second, no, the heat was not too high.

Third, you should never boil with the lid on...:mad:

Fourth, welcome fo the funderful wort of fermentation!! :D

I wouldn't worry about the hop ring, just stir from time to time, and keep your boil times the same. This is the way I do it, and have never had any issues.

As for boiling with the top on, this is something you should not do. It traps Dimethyl Sulfides (DMS) in the wort which can lead to a cabbage like flavor in your beer.

Edit: Homebrewer_99 beat me to it

I should give a little more information here. I read here or in John Palmer's book (can't remember which) that you shouldn't cover it. So I didn't cover it completely, just enough to get it to boil.

Thanks for the help! Its good to know it was ok. I guess it'll be a little extra hoppy. :drunk:

GearBeer said:
I brewed my first batch today, an Altbier extract brew.

During the boil some of the hops tended to form a ring around the brewpot. I extended the bitter hop brewtime to compensate (I opened the top and stirred them back in every 5 mins or so) but I'm not sure that this is the right strategy. Is this normal? Did I have the heat to high? I wasn't orignally planning to use a top but the 26 quart brewpot I got from a local restaraunt supply store is very wide and my stove doesn't have enough output to keep it boiling without a top on. I had to use a sheet of galvanized steel from the basement! Washed and sanitized it, though.

Thanks,

I have been wondering the same thing, whether to stir back in, or let it be. homebrewer_99 says to stir back in, but can any one else contribute an answer to this question, and even better, can anyone explain why the answer is whatever it is, ie., what does it do if you stir back in, what is the difference if you don't, etc.

Any info on this would be very helpful, thanks.:mug:

I'd think if a quarter of your hops are sticking to the side while your wort evaporates, you'd end up with a lower IBU count. Stir that stuff back in!

If you ever get around to using a wort chiller, it's even tougher to get the hops off that thing during the end of the boil.

Definately stir that stuff back in. There is nothing in there that does not belong, and it's mainly hops, which you want to boil! As for the chiller, I just use it to stir during the last 10 minutes, and didn't have an issue with them sticking. If this happens, just think about it like this: You'll be keeping the chiller in there until you cool enough to transfer to primary, at which time you'll strain the hops out anyway. I've only used mine once since building, but am already in love with it for so many reasons.

Back