Vitamix vs Blendtec

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettwasbtd

Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have either of these blenders and if so what are your thoughts. Wife wants one for Xmas and would probably use it mostly for frozen fruit smoothies, though I am intrigued by the possibility of nut butters.

being in the market for a new blender as well, after using the magic Bullet for the past 3 years (happy but not quite) I have decided on the Blendtec. It is more powerful than the vitamix and less money. There are refirbs on their web page for considerable savings.
I've been researching blenders for over a year now. I have come to the conclusion that Vitamix costs are 70% name and 30% value.
The Ninja machines rate quite high as well for even more savings

We use the Vitamix blenders in the food lab, and I've found them to be unkillable. Never tried the Blendtec.

Did find this (sort of) comparison online:
http://www.blenderbabes.com/blender-babes-101/blender-reviews/blendtec-vs-vitamix/#.VmdKPVbTmUk

The wife and I considered the Vitamix at home, but got the Ninja instead because of cost. That was a mistake, I hate the Ninja because it is virtually impossible to clean, only does a so-so job blending, and it is terrible for anything less than a full batch's worth because then most of the blades are doing nothing. And that b*tch is LOUD. I'm going to keep grinding grains for BIAB with the Ninja until I purposely kill it.

I have a Vitamix-The wife acquired it from a former job. it does what it's supposed to do. If money is no object then get the Vitamix. I find they are overpriced but I must say they are built well compared to the other crap on the market. I don't really use it much- I could not justify the cost if I had to buy it myself.

being in the market for a new blender as well, after using the magic Bullet for the past 3 years (happy but not quite) I have decided on the Blendtec. It is more powerful than the vitamix and less money. There are refirbs on their web page for considerable savings.
I've been researching blenders for over a year now. I have come to the conclusion that Vitamix costs are 70% name and 30% value.
The Ninja machines rate quite high as well for even more savings

I am def going refurbished with either. Interesting where you say vitamix is about the name, it looks much simpler (analog) compared to the blendtecs "tech"

I just know many folks that have bought the vitamix machines and they all say "its just a blender". maybe they have nothing to compare it to?? I don't know but, $500 for a blender is a bit out there when there are others that rate higher for less money.
Different strokes I guess.
The Blendtec at $279 with the same 7 year warranty seems a better value??

Ive had both. Two vitamix's and one blendtec. Use them mostly to make smoothies. Vitamix hands down. The blendtec lasted about 6 months before the bearing on the "blade" AND motor seized. Always cleaned it and kept it properly maintained/running. Never let the motor bind (its actually supposed to kill the motor if it starts to bind. Luckily I had bought it at costco so they completely understood and returned it. Otherwise a rather unpleasant experience. VITAMIX!!

If she's just mostly using it for smoothies, there's a Ninja that's just for that, so you don't have to get all the extras.

We have a ninja with all the pieces, blender, smoothie, food processor. Works well, and loudly. But it is a blender, so loud is to be expected, IMO.

I bought my wife, who is a chef, a vitamix for the house a few years ago. It really is bad ass.
There may well be something comparable available for far less, but ours is definitely capable of all the feats it's known for.

Vitamix all the way. I bought one 6 years ago, use it daily, and it's still going strong. They come with a ridiculous warranty too, just in case. I used to burn through cheaper blenders all the time before I just gave up and bought the vitamix. My recommendation is to absolutely get one any way you can. The cheapest way I'm aware of is to buy a refurbished one from the factory and use a promo code from an online affiliate to get free shipping. A quick google search brough up http://rawblends.com/vitamix-promotion-code/.

I bought a referb Vitamix a couple years ago, gets daily use for smoothies and other uses, it doesn't complain.
I've kill quite a few others, I have a feeling I'll never need to buy another blender.

I have owned both And will always buy vitamix. Had to return my blendtec when it seized after a few months. We have 7 years on our first vitamix and still going strong.

Still (over)researching this and found some good stuff I thought I'd share. These seems to be one of the most comprehensive video reviews as the YouTubers make the EXACT same things side by side: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EshhJ9h3uU[/ame]

This article also provides a solid written review: http://gotgreensrevolution.com/Vitamix-versus-blendtec-review.html

I am leaning vitamix...biggest thing for me is the size, if I get it the jar and base will have to be stored separately as it is way to tall to be on the counter

And I just purchased a recertified vitamix. They had the one with the 3 program settings on sale for $299 and free shipping. The blendtec was only $20 less, but I decided to go with vitamix.

My wife has a Vitamix and she loves it. Can't kill that thing, they are tough. Big investment but it'll be the last blender you buy.

I'm on my third Vitamix. First one, the old chrome-container Maxi 4000. Bought it used, had it maybe 5 years, decided I really REALLY wanted one with variable speeds and the Lexan (see-through) container, so bought a 5000. Worked great. Used it (with the "dry blade" container) to make flour from our homesprouted red winter wheat. Never a hickup.

Made the mistake of stopping at the VM Roadshow booth at Costco 2 weeks ago, came home with a 5300! LOVE it, the base of the container is wider so a bit easier to get stuff like peanut butter and our homemade mustard out of it.

Wouldn't be without one. Haven't tried the Blendtec but another forum I belong to (food related) there are a few folks who've had both and the consensus seems to be for the Vitamix.

Gonna try to sell my 5000 on ebay. Maybe somebody needs a Christmas present used only by a little old lady! :D

I'm on my third Vitamix. First one, the old chrome-container Maxi 4000. Bought it used, had it maybe 5 years, decided I really REALLY wanted one with variable speeds and the Lexan (see-through) container, so bought a 5000. Worked great. Used it (with the "dry blade" container) to make flour from our homesprouted red winter wheat. Never a hickup.

Made the mistake of stopping at the VM Roadshow booth at Costco 2 weeks ago, came home with a 5300! LOVE it, the base of the container is wider so a bit easier to get stuff like peanut butter and our homemade mustard out of it.

Wouldn't be without one. Haven't tried the Blendtec but another forum I belong to (food related) there are a few folks who've had both and the consensus seems to be for the Vitamix.

Gonna try to sell my 5000 on ebay. Maybe somebody needs a Christmas present used only by a little old lady! :D

I'll give you $5 for it. Saves you the eBay fee. :D

And I just purchased a recertified vitamix. They had the one with the 3 program settings on sale for $299 and free shipping. The blendtec was only $20 less, but I decided to go with vitamix.

So we finally got around to using it and...I think the pulse button is broken. When I push it down I don't notice any difference :( Guess thats what happens when you get the recertified one. Now I am going to have to contact them and probably wait a while for shipping and what not :(

What model did you get? Does anything on it work?

On my new one, the pulse button works independently of the regular power button, and the variable speed setting makes the pulse button work faster or slower depending on where the variable is set when you press down the pulse button.

If I can help you with it I will, otherwise yeah, I'd call their 800 number and have them walk you through trouble-shooting with it.

What model did you get? Does anything on it work?

On my new one, the pulse button works independently of the regular power button, and the variable speed setting makes the pulse button work faster or slower depending on where the variable is set when you press down the pulse button.

If I can help you with it I will, otherwise yeah, I'd call their 800 number and have them walk you through trouble-shooting with it.

Wait so you are saying instead of hitting start/stop I would turn the dial to a number and then use the pulse? The manual's description of the pulse button was a little confusing

I'm glad you went with the Via-mix...I finally pulled the trigger last Christmas for my Wife...Smoothest smoothies out there. Have both the Bullet and the Ninja stashed in the garage and will give to the kids eventually...not even in the same league.

I make many of my soups in the vitamix. It makes short order of making things smooth so you can just hear in the stove with less work to make things smooth.

Squash and chicken tortilla soup are big hits in our house with the vita mix.

Also...best margarita maker in the world.

Use one small can lime-aid, same amount of tequila, a fresh lime, a couple shots of triple sac and a can of lite beer with the blender full of ice. Comes out as a perfect slushy margarita.

Be warned...after ten minutes once the mixture becomes slushy in a glass the melted ice waters the potent blend into a concoction that taste great but packs a punch.

Oh-forgot to add remove the skin of the lime...just use the fruit.

If you like then sweet, add sugar. We like tart and the recipe above is spot on.

One last comment...vitamix has awesome warranty and customer support. Even a user induced damage to the blender vessel resulted in a new one sent with no cost, no questions really asked. Great company and I am not affiliated.

Have had a Vitamix for about 10 years and it's as awesome today as it was when we bought it.
I agree that it's the best Margarita machine too!

We have a recertified Vitamix as well. Love it! Thing has suited us well even with the heavy use we put it through. We did have one problem with the variable dial, it broke to where there was only one speed. However a quick call to Vitamix and they shipped us a box with pre-paid labels and we had it back within 1-2 weeks repaired. If you do stumble across a problem, their customer support is top notch and will take good care of you.

They also hold their value REALLY well. The 5000 I had since 2008 I was able to sell for $275 on Craigslist. The 5300 I bought at the Costco Roadshow was $349 and I had a $75 Costco rebate check so I pretty much got the upgrade to the new one for FREE! :D

The original one I had, the Maxi 4000, I sold on ebay for ALMOST enough to pay for that 5000. I did have two containers for it though and an extra blade assembly, but still - they are amazing machines, will last somewhere close to forever, and if you ever want to upgrade, consider selling your older one on Craigslist or ebay.

I always take really good care of mine though, and they still look like new with the exception of a little scratch here and there in side the Lexan containers.

Most commercial restaurant supply stores have used blenders for sale. Sometimes you can get a 3-4 hp for half of new. And they're going to last forever with home type use.

Most commercial restaurant supply stores have used blenders for sale. Sometimes you can get a 3-4 hp for half of new. And they're going to last forever with home type use.

And there's a good chance that the used commercial blender will be a Vitamix! :)

I bought my wife a real fancy one a couple months ago so my younger daughter would actually 'eat' good food, as she is an incredibly picky eater. Well, when making her the strawberry 'smoothie', sometimes things like spinach, etc accidentally fall into the concoction, and miss picky is none the wiser. The wife absolutely loves her blender, so much in fact that I ended up purchasing one for my older daughter to make baby food with, and my sister who loves her frosty slushy drinks! Both have had them for a few weeks now, and just like my wife, absolutely loves them. Theirs weren't as fancy as my wife's, but they all work just as well as the others in their lineup, it's just how many bells and whistles you want/need on it to make you happy.

I was sneaky about it though, I had asked them to go to Costco with me to help me decide if I wanted to make a major purchase or not. We went and watched the road show for about 10-15 mins, and then talked about it as we were walking out of the store. Little did they know, I had purchased one for each of them and they were sitting in my trunk. While we were chatting about all the cool things we'd learned they could do, I popped open my trunk, pulled out one for each of them and yelled Surprise! They both almost fell over, it was so cool! Weeks on now, they still laugh when I ask them how the Vitamix is working out.

I bought my wife a real fancy one a couple months ago so my younger daughter would actually 'eat' good food, as she is an incredibly picky eater. Well, when making her the strawberry 'smoothie', sometimes things like spinach, etc accidentally fall into the concoction, and miss picky is none the wiser. The wife absolutely loves her blender, so much in fact that I ended up purchasing one for my older daughter to make baby food with, and my sister who loves her frosty slushy drinks! Both have had them for a few weeks now, and just like my wife, absolutely loves them. Theirs weren't as fancy as my wife's, but they all work just as well as the others in their lineup, it's just how many bells and whistles you want/need on it to make you happy.

I was sneaky about it though, I had asked them to go to Costco with me to help me decide if I wanted to make a major purchase or not. We went and watched the road show for about 10-15 mins, and then talked about it as we were walking out of the store. Little did they know, I had purchased one for each of them and they were sitting in my trunk. While we were chatting about all the cool things we'd learned they could do, I popped open my trunk, pulled out one for each of them and yelled Surprise! They both almost fell over, it was so cool! Weeks on now, they still laugh when I ask them how the Vitamix is working out.

Wow, I love Costco - will you adopt me? I promise to act very very surprised! LOL!

LOL umm, well.. You know I would, but sadly I've come to the conclusion that my 2 gals are more then enough (my hair is greying fast enough as it is...), I do appreciate the offer though!

I found out how to get the cat out of the kitchen - throw some cubes of good hard Parmigiana Reggiano into the running blades of the VM! LOL!

Boy did my cat skedaddle. OTOH, I made short work of that block of PR from Costco, including cutting off and saving the rinds for future addition to marinara sauce, and ended up with a quart jar of pulverized Parm that rivals the green-can stuff for texture but tastes TEN TIMES better.

LOVE that VM. What a workhorse.

Back